Select to view content in your preferred language

Customizing Symbology for Feature Layers

11-01-2023 12:21 PM
MeganWheatley
Regular Contributor

Hello GISers!

I am working on updating symbology of trails that has been getting simplified from pro to AGOL. I have been utilizing the symbol builder and Arcgis assist to try and update the JSON file. 

When I try to cut and paste the new drawing information. It ruins the syntax and gives me errors that dont have answers. 

Is there another way that I am missing? 

Please let me know when you can.

Thank you,

Megan

0 Kudos
8 Replies
JeffSilberberg
Frequent Contributor

One good tool for editing and verifying JSON is - https://jsoncrack.com/editor

0 Kudos
MeganWheatley
Regular Contributor

Thank you. I will check this out!

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Do you have Use symbol types compatible with all clients  checked on when sharing from Pro? This will downgrade the symbols so they work in Map Viewer Classic and WAB. If its not checked the resulting symbol should work in newer clients like Map Viewer and Instant Apps.  

0 Kudos
MeganWheatley
Regular Contributor

I am sharing it as a web layer. Could that be my issue? I am wanting to use these layers within Experience Builder. So I do not need the simplified symbology, I really want to honor the symbology but it keeps becoming a problem. 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Sharing a web layer from Pro using this config should preserve the symbol and not get downgraded. Experience Builder will support the same symbols as Map Viewer.  Leave this option unchecked and use the layer item not the service URL. 

RussRoberts_0-1698948055276.png

0 Kudos
MeganWheatley
Regular Contributor

MeganWheatley_0-1699018508014.png

My Pro does not have that under setting to use symbol types compatible with all clients. Furthermore, this symbol is a double dashed line. And everytime it goes into ArcGIS Online it downgrades it. 

MeganWheatley_1-1699018625147.png

I was trying to fix it using arcade. And got there partially. But it will not let me do the dash. I just have a double line. Any thoughts on that. I was trying to change the json file as well but like I mentioned above using arcgis assistant it messes with my syntax on the drawing information. 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

This came in at 3.1 for the feature layer sharing. Can you check web map sharing if it has this option on the map config panel? Then you could do Save on the layer in Map Viewer to push the renderer to the feature layer item.  This should be available at 2.9 Pro and up. 

0 Kudos
MeganWheatley
Regular Contributor

I do have the ability to leave that uncheck when sharing as a web map. But it continues to say that the symbology will be downgraded. And we are wanting to keep this has hosted feature layers not a tile layer. 

0 Kudos