Custom Projections in AGOL

Jump to solution
01-04-2021 12:19 PM
AnnaScholl
Occasional Contributor

Dear friends,

It seems this has been asked before but the answers didn't quite give me the info I'm looking for. I have a custom projection for India (transverse mercator) for a school project in Pro. We are now making a dashboard and need to transition to AGOL. Web Mercator is, of course, completely inappropriate for most maps, and I need to change the projection. The question is, how? All of our data is in this custom projection, so this shouldn't be a problem. If the answer involves Arcgis REST, how do I go about publishing my own service?

Many thanks, 

L

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AnnaScholl
Occasional Contributor
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lydia, check out the "How to Make Non-Mercator Web Maps" section in the following article: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/here-are-some-equal-area-projected-m...

Hopefully this helps!

AnnaScholl
Occasional Contributor

This would be great, and seems straightforward, but I can't figure out how he starts out... "choose a projection that suits you." This I have, but how did he get the landmass data, water data, etc? Where could I find this?

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Lydia,

In addition to Cartochien's advice, if you still have ArcGIS Pro you can change the projection using these steps:

• you can then you can publish the layer to AGOL
  •  Open the map in AGOL through your contents 
  •  share as a web app 
  • choose the dashboard option 

Hope this helps 

AnnaScholl
Occasional Contributor

Thanks! Unfortunately, when I go to publish the layer to AGOL, it gives me an error that the basemap (e.g. Topographic) is in a different projection than the other layers (my custom projection). I haven't been able to figure out how to get through this step. 

L

0 Kudos
AnnaScholl
Occasional Contributor