Creating a time-enabled layer in ArcGIS Online

08-19-2020 09:36 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,
I'm pretty new to ArcGIS Online, and am trying to create a time-series map of yields from a series of farming plots. I have created a map, and imported a layer (from a geojson file) with the coordinates of the plots. I have another file (csv) with crop yields by plot and year. I can import this as a layer and show the yields as proportional symbols. ArcGIS recognizes the year in the file as a Date field. It seems like I should be able to make this layer time-enabled (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/create-maps/configure-time.htm) to show progression of the yields. However, there is no option to edit the layer properties.

The page referred to in the link above states, "On the Overview tab, scroll to the Layers section and click the name of the layer to open its details page. If the layer contains temporal data, you'll see a Time Settings option on the layer's Overview tab." However, when I do that, the name of the layer in the Overview tab is not clickable.

It seems like there is some basic step or permission that I'm missing, but I can't figure it out. Can I do this purely in ArcGIS Online or do I need to use a desktop app? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Actually, my daughter figured this out. We had to publish the layer so it became a hosted layer (this required activating the account with an organization; something we hadn't done before).  Once the layer was published, the options we were looking for appeared.  I'm sure this is very basic for most users, but it baffled us for a day.

0 Kudos