Create Time Enabled Layer from CSV in AGOL or Portal?

Jump to solution
12-09-2016 05:57 AM
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

I am looking for the easiest way to get AVL data stored as CSV into ArcGIS Online‌ or Portal for ArcGIS‌ and make the resulting Feature Layer time enabled so that they may use the time slider - all completed by a non-GIS user.

I have not been able to either drop a CSV file into a Web Map or "Add Item" "From my computer" and have anything interpret the correctly formatted field as a Date/Time field.  After searching here and in documentation, I am finding nothing on the topic.

I am guessing that I will have to somehow create a service that will ingest the CSV, convert the CSV to a Feature Class, define fields and then publish to Portal as a Feature Layer (with the current user's account so that it appears in their content).  I could give it a shot - but how to expose the service to the user...?

The user would then have to add resulting Feature Layer  to a Web Map, symbolize, configure attributes and then enable the time slider.  Messy, but I think I can train this AND it might not be too much for the users to put up with.

Am I heading in the right direction with this?

Thanks,

--Adam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Adam Repsher,

Have you tried adding the CSV as an item to the My Content page? Then you would just add this to a web map, apply the desired symbology and save the web map. Once the web map is saved you can share the web map with end users as opposed to the end user adding the feature layer to a web map themselves.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hello Adam Repsher,

Have you tried adding the CSV as an item to the My Content page? Then you would just add this to a web map, apply the desired symbology and save the web map. Once the web map is saved you can share the web map with end users as opposed to the end user adding the feature layer to a web map themselves.

0 Kudos
AdamRepsher
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Katie Cullen‌,

I tried that a few times and it didn't work correctly.

Then I read your reply - and tried it again...

That time, it worked!  You're magical!

I may have used a differently formatted CSV.  I will have to check.

Thank you,

--Adam

0 Kudos