create feature layer from existing layer - error

Jump to solution
04-19-2018 02:46 AM
JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

I am trying to create a new hosted feature layer from an existing hosted feature layer.  The purpose is for a new project in collector that uses the same layers but is a completely separate dataset in a different location.  I go through The Create > Feaure Layer > From Existing Layer approach:

But I get this error when I try:

Error Unable to add feature service definition. Invalid definition for System.Collections.Generic.List`1[ESRI.ArcGIS.SDS.Metadata.LayerCoreInfo] Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation

Does anyone know why this might occur?  The Feature Layer actually contains multiple layers and related tables.  Is this part of the issue.  And also is this the easiest way to approach to make a copy of an online dataset for use in collector?

It is worth adding that we normally copy layers by creating a new service from arcmap or arcpro but this does not maintain the popup configurations, visibility range,  and other settings that would be good to keep fixed and not have to recreate them every time.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly

Have shared this group with you so should be able to see it.  The funny thing is from this version I managed to create a new layer no problem at all!  This might be an unexplained error on the feature layer I was trying to copy.  ANyway problem solved. 

Thanks for helping!

Joe

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Joseph,

Is the source layer hosted in ArcGIS Online or ArcGIS Enterprise?

Are you looking to copy the structure or the data?

-Kelly

0 Kudos
JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

Ideally I could make the layer appear in the template section here, so it is easily accessible for other members of my organisation:

:Create feature layer from template

0 Kudos
JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly, its on ArcGIS Online.  It is just the structure I am looking to copy (although would be interested if there were options for both?).

Thanks

Joe

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Thanks Joseph,

I've never seen this issue before. Are able to share the source layer with me?

Thanks,

Kelly 

0 Kudos
JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly  - is possible to share the layer without it making it public?

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hey Joseph,

You can create a group, invite my username (Karate_KElly) to the group and then I will be able to see your layer without it being shared publicly.

-Kelly

JoeNunn
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kelly

Have shared this group with you so should be able to see it.  The funny thing is from this version I managed to create a new layer no problem at all!  This might be an unexplained error on the feature layer I was trying to copy.  ANyway problem solved. 

Thanks for helping!

Joe

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hey Joseph,

I'm happy i was such a help

If you run into a similar issue, I'd suggest getting in touch with support so they can diagnose the issue further.

Thanks,

Kelly

0 Kudos