Select to view content in your preferred language

Cannot update URL for Map Services

07-30-2010 05:23 AM
EnterpriseGIS
New Contributor
Hello,

I have added content to ArcGIS.com--Map Services and Web Mapping Applications.  Our URL has recently changed and I wanted to update my content's url.  I could edit the Web Mapping Application URLs, but NOT the Map Services URLs.

Could someone please tell me how this can be done -- or make it possible to do so if it is not already.

Thanks,
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
You can't change the URL of a map service. You'll need to add a new item and delete the old one.

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
EnterpriseGIS
New Contributor
Mike,

Thank you for your quick response.

Is there a reason that you can not update the URL in Map Services?  Since it is easy to do with Web Mapping Applications I was expecting the same with Map Services.

It would be a lot of work to recreate the data for all the Map Services any time something like this changes (which hopefully doesn't happen very often).

I would think people would be more inclined to use ArcGIS.com and update the data if it was easy to do so.

Thanks,
Enterprise GIS
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
There is a technical reason and a non technical reason why you can't change the URL of a service. The technical reason is due to how we store services in our database. They are stored differently from Web mapping applications, which explains why you can change the URL an app.

The non technical reason is that we decided that changing the URL of a service is a "deep" change that means it's actually a new item. We thought that service urls don't change that frequently. We thought that people might also expect that if they change the URL to the map service, then any web map that referenced it would automatically update. This is not the case. So we decided not to allow people to update URLs.

Now, that's not to say we can't reconsider our decision...  You might see what other users think by posting your idea here:

ArcGIS Online Ideas

thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos