Select to view content in your preferred language

can't merge 2 layers?

06-04-2024 11:35 AM
JayLarsen
Occasional Contributor II

I'm just merging 2 layers...one is just additional data that needs to be added to the original due to me forgetting it.

I go into merge dialog. I select "orig" layer. I select "fix" layer.  They already have same headers. I give it some name "merge layer" and hit go.

It starts to churn, but then puts up a dialog with on the word "Error".  This literally should be the easiest merge, it's just like the example.

What is going on?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JayLarsen

Did a support case.  It turns out its another instance of the "zombie layer from Excel" bug.  Was able to fix it downloading part of the data as FGDB, then appending it on the original.  Very nice trick!

Sadly, then needed to do some work with this layer using "aggregate points" and it failed with same generic "ERROR".  Did the trick to the whole thing, export as FGDB, download, re-upload from FGDB, and then it works now.

Layer made from Excel get goofed up by the system! This is an old bug! I and others have written many messages about this over the last 2 years! Usually the other part is the layer can't be edited...but then if left alone for a week or so, it fixes itself.

FIX IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

0 Kudos
AmandaRing
Esri Contributor

Hi @JayLarsen,
Would you be able to share a copy of the webmap and/or data with which you are having issues running the analysis tools?

Thanks,

Amanda
Product Engineer - Web Analysis
0 Kudos
JayLarsen

It was the same bug as a few years ago.  If you make the layer from an Excel sheet, it doesn't work.  Sometimes it cures itself if you let it sit for a week or so. The "fix" is to export as FGDB, download, then re-upload. It was documented  by ESRI support from this incident again.  I got the impression it was well known.

0 Kudos
JayLarsen

Layers are still up...were documented in support case.

0 Kudos