Can't edit Hosted Feature Layer Domains in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
08-10-2020 10:16 PM
CameronMcArtney
Esri Contributor

Hi all,

Does anyone know why I cannot edit a hosted feature layers domains in ArcGIS Online?

Noticed there was a difference with the JSON for a Feature service that allows editing and the one I'm having trouble with.

FL I cannot edit 

FL I can edit 

Found that it may be to do with the highlighted fields in the troublesome Feature Layer here (

following this article here How To: Add coded value domains to a hosted feature service from a REST endpoint 

Does anyone know how to enable domain editing on this feature layer?

Thanks,

Cam

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stephanie_F
Esri Contributor

Hi Cameron McArtney‌,

I noticed that the hosted feature layer experiencing the issue has views. Is it possible that one of those views was created as the result of using the Join Analysis? If so, I believe you are running into a known limitation because a Join Analysis locks the schema for a hosted feature layer. In this scenario, deleting the view that was created through the Join Analysis should make source schema changes allowed again.

Hope this helps!

-Stephanie

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Stephanie_F
Esri Contributor

Hi Cameron McArtney‌,

I noticed that the hosted feature layer experiencing the issue has views. Is it possible that one of those views was created as the result of using the Join Analysis? If so, I believe you are running into a known limitation because a Join Analysis locks the schema for a hosted feature layer. In this scenario, deleting the view that was created through the Join Analysis should make source schema changes allowed again.

Hope this helps!

-Stephanie

CameronMcArtney
Esri Contributor

Yeah it was due to the views!

Thanks Stephanie Foresman

CSR_GarinHirata
New Contributor II

Stephanie, 

I used to be able to update the source table domain that had a joined view, but it doesn't seem to be taking anymore. I get the successful message too. So I usually go through the REST endpoint and only insert the domain part I want to update. I want to keep my joined view because I don't want to redo my dashboard since the item id will change. I did notice that the "sourceSchemaChangesAllowed" : false. Do I need to change this only in the views and/or the source table too? Would this change let me change the domain? If so how would I go about that?  Thank You!

0 Kudos
SergioLugo_Serrato
New Contributor II

hi CSR_GarinHirata,

I have a problem similar to yours.

I tried as you said, using the REST endpoint of my layer view, I even specified ' "isViewOverride": true ' but it makes no change.
How do you add different domains to layer views?

Thanks!

0 Kudos