Select to view content in your preferred language

Can not Add Elevation Layers to My Map

Jump to solution
03-17-2015 02:48 AM
TunaUnsal
New Contributor III

I receive the "The layer, Terrain, cannot be added to the map because you do not have privileges to use this layer." error when I try to add any of the services from "Elevation Layers" group to My map in AGOL. As described the Access and Use Constraints the service must be available for users with an ArcGIS organizational account. Well I have that and I don't see what the problem could be..

Any ideas to overcome this issue?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Tuna,

It sounds like you are logging in with a AGOL personal account.  If you are using an AGOL Organizational account, you should see 'My Organization' at the top.  Ex:

screen1.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JakeSkinner

Hi Tuna,

It sounds like you are logging in with a AGOL personal account.  If you are using an AGOL Organizational account, you should see 'My Organization' at the top.  Ex:

screen1.png

TunaUnsal
New Contributor III

Thanks Jake. This is where I get a bit confused. The accounts!

I thought I was logging in with organizational account but seemingly I wasn't.

We have Server and Portal products and we do not normally use AGOL that is why I am not that confident  when I log in to ArcGIS online or my esri.

Anyway, to come straight to what I need; I would like to use one ore two of these elevation services within my Portal for ArcGIS product. Is it possible?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

Yes, you can add the service to Portal, but you will still need an ArcGIS Online Organizational account.  To add the service to Portal, go to My Content > Add Item > On the web.  You can then copy the URL:

http://elevation.arcgis.com/arcgis/rest/services/WorldElevation/Terrain/ImageServer

You will need to specify your ArcGIS Online Organization username/password.  Ex:

screen1.png

TunaUnsal
New Contributor III

Many thanks Jack! Now I will confirm our organizational account with the local distributor and proceed as you described.

0 Kudos
TunaUnsal
New Contributor III

Hi again Jake,

We now have an organizational account and I was able to add the layer as an item to our portal.

One problem is the layer asks me to sign in to online each time I want to display it on the map. Is this because the layer is not available for the users of the portal unless they have an organizational subscription? In other words, we have 50 members in the portal but a limit of 5 users for our organizational account. Will this mean we 45 of our users will not be able to view and use the elevation layer?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner

If you choose the option "Store credentials with service item. Do not prompt for authentication" when adding the service to Portal, you should not be prompted for credentials.