Can I add text to the map using the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer?

Jump to solution
07-23-2014 11:18 AM
MichaelKlein
New Contributor II

I'd like to add some text (not label features) to a few features on my ArcGIS Online map.  Can I do this using the Map Viewer?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GaëtanLAVENU
Esri Contributor

Hi Mickael,

I think you have 3 options:

- Add "Map Notes" layer to your map and then create "Text" features

- Use the new feature of ArcGIS Online to manage labels on feature services layers

- Publish a dynamic map service containing annotation layer from ArcGIS for Server and use it in your Web Map

View solution in original post

4 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

I dont think this is possible at the moment. You could add a text "layer" as outlined here Adding labels to ArcGIS Online web maps: Part 1 | ArcGIS Blog

GaëtanLAVENU
Esri Contributor

Hi Mickael,

I think you have 3 options:

- Add "Map Notes" layer to your map and then create "Text" features

- Use the new feature of ArcGIS Online to manage labels on feature services layers

- Publish a dynamic map service containing annotation layer from ArcGIS for Server and use it in your Web Map

stefanstamenov
Occasional Contributor III

I think the easiest way is to put a description to the Map Notes

0 Kudos
MichaelKlein
New Contributor II

Thank to everyone who responded.  I created a dynamic map service with some "dummy" points with the labels that I wanted and symbolized the points as transparent, then labeled the points in Map Viewer.

The Map Notes work fine for labeling (add Map Notes Labels) but beware that in the Legend the entire Map Notes Template features will display so you'll see Map Note features in the Legend even though you've only created Map Note Labels.

0 Kudos