Better way to reorder fields?

01-15-2020 09:40 AM
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

After many hours over the years I wanted to see if there was another way or if it can be updated.

Arcade expressions always go at the bottom of the pop up.  My layers have lots of fields and several related tables.  This means in order to move a Arcade expression up near the top I have to click the up arrow hundreds of times.  And I have to do this for each one of my Arcades (can not select and reorder a group).  I must be missing something here.

Then if I go too fast it blanks everything!

Is there any other way to order these?  We battle this everyday and it is really a time waster at this point.  Seems designed for just a few fields - which most enterprise DBs are bigger than that.

I wish you could drag and drop them, or it had a order field with numbering, or something.  Yes the new map viewer beta can drag and drop but you cannot drag past the top.  So with the huge font on these you can only drag up 2-3 fields at a time.  Sometimes it will try to scroll once up but it usually does not work.  A order number here would be great.

I also would really like the option to flip between field name and alias in the attribute table.

Thanks for any help

5 Replies
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Doug Browning ,

Yes the new map viewer beta can drag and drop but you cannot drag past the top.

Are you sure? Maybe I don't understand it correctly, but it seems to be able to drag the field to the top of the field list in a single action:

What I also noticed is that saving this change in the web map (not the new format) does not result in the new order of the list in the "old" map viewer. It does persist when opening the web map in the beta map viewer.

You are right ordering the list of fields in the current map viewer is not a pleasant user experience. 

I also would really like the option to flip between field name and alias in the attribute table.

I completely agree with you on this one. Sometimes I use the attribute window to explore the data and want to use a field in some Arcade expression, but it becomes difficult to now which field name it is when the alias is shown in the attribute table. If you create the idea, I will definitely vote it up.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Weird mine does not scroll up it just sits there.  I can get it to move a field or two sometimes but not all the way to the top.

Using Chrome.

Thanks

I would love an order field of some sort.  When it gets into the 100s of fields this method breaks down.  Adding Esri testing with larger datasets would be great.

0 Kudos
DougBrowning
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Attribute Idea is here

https://community.esri.com/ideas/17868 

Another one is Show related records from the Attribute tablet?  Have not seen that one.

Really looking forward to a new web map!  It is getting pretty old now.

thanks

XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Doug Browning ,

Don't forget to vote your own idea up. 

Strange that in your case it does not allow you to move the attribute up to the top. You might want to create a post in the ArcGIS Online Map Viewer Beta so it get's logged and the team sees it.

0 Kudos
CassidyKillian
Occasional Contributor II

Xander,

I am able to reorder fields in the Configure Pop Up tool, but after I drag and drop into the order I want I notice that the new format does not persist over to a web app editor.  Do you know if this is a bug or if it will be fixed in a future release?

It seems kind of pointless to have this functionality if it does not carry over to apps and you have to go back to map viewer classic and use the old method to reorder fields.