Best free Iphone apps to collect and save waypoints and tracklogs

08-07-2014 05:02 PM
JoanneLogan1
New Contributor II

I will be training Americorps volunteers over the next several months in how to use ArcGIS Online. Right now, most of the training will be using the free public accounts, because it might take awhile for their assigned schools to get on board with org accounts. I used to teach Garmin 60CSX but that seems so old-fashioned anymore, and they all have smart phones. I use Iphone MyTracks to collect tracklogs, email them to myself, then drag and drop the saved gpx file to the map. Works great. However, even though you can collect waypoints in MyTracks, I cannot find a way to export them. So I found another free app by Codeburners, GPS Free, and it collects waypoints just fine and dandy, although it took me awhile to figure out how to get them to save in decimal degrees. Weird thing though, when I try to drag and drop the saved gpx, nothing. If I open it in DNR Garmin (Great free program from Minnesota Department of Natural Resources) and save it as a new gpx or even a text file, it drags over just fine.

Any suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated. Most of the volunteers will have Iphones, so I am not going to even try to do anything with Androids.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
TimothyHales
Esri Notable Contributor

I've moved your post into the ArcGIS Online space. You will get a much better answer here as the GeoNet Help is intended for community help and feedback. You can see more on the community structure, and what topics are under each space from the following documents:

GeoNet Community Structure

ArcGIS Discussion Forums Migration Strategy

Thanks!

Timothy

0 Kudos