Base map won't print with close zooms

Jump to solution
07-07-2016 08:25 AM
DonPritt
Occasional Contributor II

Having an issue when printing to a PDF from my Web App that won't show the image base maps (World_Imagery) after zoomed in to a certain scale. Would like for the image base map to print, see PDF attachments.

"hydrant.pdf" is about as close as I can zoom and still have a printed background, anything closer and I get

"HydrantII.pdf" results.

I can print in close in ArcMAP using the same base map (World_Imagery) and image appears.

Hopefully I can resolve this as I need close in detail in my prints.

Anyone else having this issue using online basemaps?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Don,

A bug has been logged in reference to this: BUG-000096616 - Unable to print a web map when zooming in to the last 4 zoom levels (basemap: Imagery, Topographic and street), and the following error is returned: "Map data not yet available"

Feel free to contact technical support and request to be attached to the bug, or I will update this post once the bug is made public.

Kelly

View solution in original post

8 Replies
TanyaHaddad
New Contributor III

The tiled background on your failed print indicates a tiled cache. Perhaps in ArcMap you are using a dynamic version of the same source?

0 Kudos
DonPritt

I can plot fine within Arcmap with no problem zoomed in while using the same basemap, this problem only occurs when trying to print from my gis online web maps using print widgets and not, even deleted my cache in arcmap and my browser thinking it may have gotten to bloated. This seems to be a fairly new problem after ESRI updated their base maps.

Thanks Tanya for your response, I may just have to give tech support a call....

0 Kudos
TanyaHaddad
New Contributor III

Yes, a dynamic source would probably print at any zoom level (even intermediate levels between tile cache levels). Versus a tile cached version would only be able to print where a cache exists.

Not sure why you are seeing the different behavior from different clients to the same service though...

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

ArcMap will always try to interpolate between cached scales, even when a dynamic source is not available.  This includes continuing to zoom in to the last available cache (resampled, i.e. pixels will just get larger, and less detailed).  If the data source is available, I believe it will actually use the data source.  This is in the interactive window. 

Printing in ArcMap, I believe, will stick with the cached levels.  We have issues sometimes tht the scale that is shown in ArcMap layout is not the one that actually ends up printing, and it is typically because it needs to shift to the next cache level.

My guess is the web mapping will always use the cache tiles, if available.  This is somewhat by design, 1) for speed, and 2) so the providers can control what scales are allowed and prevent users from using beyond the resolution they are collected (and/or because of licensing issues).

I'm not sure if/why it would have changed since the last update.

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Don,

A bug has been logged in reference to this: BUG-000096616 - Unable to print a web map when zooming in to the last 4 zoom levels (basemap: Imagery, Topographic and street), and the following error is returned: "Map data not yet available"

Feel free to contact technical support and request to be attached to the bug, or I will update this post once the bug is made public.

Kelly

DonPritt

So it wasn't just me, hopefully it will get resolved soon, thanks Kelly

0 Kudos
KenCarrier1
New Contributor II

It is almost 2018 and this still has not been fixed? Any idea when it will be because the print widget in AGOL currently version 2.7 and WebApp Builder version 2.6, this is still not working even for custom caches built at the same zoom scale "Esri Case #02038619 - Custom print service not printing cache map service". 

0 Kudos
BrianFoley1
New Contributor II

I realize this is an older post, but was wondering if there has been a fix to this.  I am running into the same issue.  I can get my map to zoom to level 23, but when I try to print my map,  I get the 'map data not yet available' message.

0 Kudos