ArcGIS Web App not honouring Web Map Symbology!

Jump to solution
03-04-2023 06:51 PM
Marie-AngeFournier-Beck
New Contributor III

I have 7 web apps and 7 different web maps (one for each app). All of a sudden, yesterday, one of the web maps started to not honour the symbology that was set in the web map. It was only with the polygon layers. The web app has started filling in 3 of the polygons feature services when all of the settings, including in the visualization settings of each feature service, has the polygons shown only with a black outline - no fill. I have deleted the map, recreated an entirely new map. Deleted the app and recreated an entirely new app. I have changed the basemap. I have removed the feature layers from the map then added them again... I still get the same error from the web application - where 3 polygon layers are shown filled in and not as just outlines.

EDIT: Now it is doing this for all polygons within my map and for all maps, but only in the web app builder, not in the map itself.  I hope someone has some advice out there!!?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Marie-AngeFournier-Beck
New Contributor III

@EmmettHurley - 3.1 by default checks off the "use symbol types compatible with all clients" - which now needs to be turned on (whereas before it didn't, even when you were using non-vector symbols) because the new version - 3.1 - will turn non-vector symbols into vector symbols when publishing.

MarieAngeFournierBeck_0-1678385113838.png

View solution in original post

21 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Looks like you are using symbols that are not supported in 3.x web apps like Map Viewer Classic and Web AppBuilder apps. If you are using vector symbols from Map Viewer, under the Visualization tab on the layer or sharing web maps from Pro with layers set to publish more advanced symbols will create symbols that are not supported on older clients. If you use Map Viewer, Experience Builder, Instant Apps, Dashboards and Story Maps you will see these symbols come across. 

0 Kudos
Marie-AngeFournier-Beck
New Contributor III

Hi, I wish that were the case, but these maps and web apps were all running fine a week ago. 

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Can you share the map and I can check the symbol being used? 

Here is a sample of what it looks like you are seeing using one of these symbols that have properties the Map Viewer Classic and WAB do not support. 

RussRoberts_0-1678114517061.png

0 Kudos
Marie-AngeFournier-Beck
New Contributor III

Hi @RussRoberts - thanks for the offer, I appreciate your help. Can I email it to you? Or share another way than on the public site?
I can guarantee that these web apps were running fine 2 weeks ago and the symbology has not changed at all within that time in the map. Only within the web app did it change - on it's own. When I brought the web apps into a different organization, they did the same thing/same error.

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

You can send me a msg here on esri community. You can toss the map, app and layers into a group and invite russell_jsapi to it. 

0 Kudos
Marie-AngeFournier-Beck
New Contributor III

Thanks! you've just been invited

0 Kudos
EmmettHurley
New Contributor II

Hi there, i've just had the same issue. Any solution?

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

@Marie-AngeFournier-Beck reported that support mentioned an issue with Pro 3.1 always writing out the vector symbols which are not supported in Map Viewer Classic and other 3.x clients like Web AppBuilder. I do not have the bug # for tracking right now though.

0 Kudos
Marie-AngeFournier-Beck
New Contributor III

@EmmettHurley - 3.1 by default checks off the "use symbol types compatible with all clients" - which now needs to be turned on (whereas before it didn't, even when you were using non-vector symbols) because the new version - 3.1 - will turn non-vector symbols into vector symbols when publishing.

MarieAngeFournierBeck_0-1678385113838.png