ArcGIS Web app Draw Widget - how to make edits

Jump to solution
04-23-2021 07:26 AM
KyrstenFrench
New Contributor II

In Google My Maps, you can really easily draw on a map, edit the vertices of a polygon, even input information into the polygon and download a layer as a KML file.

Even just having the ability to edit the vertices of something drawn using the "Draw" widget doesn't seem to be possible, or am I missing something? It seems like a user can draw something on the map, but then needs to be satisfied with that. No editing, no labeling of the shape. For someone who is used to jotting down thoughts on MyMaps, this just seems very limited. Is there anything I'm missing, maybe another widget that can be added?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, sketches done in the Draw widget are "one and done".

In the new generation of the Map Viewer, there are sketch layers that allow this sort of editing of existing drawn shapes, and I would assume that the capability will eventually find its way into some of the newer apps built on the ArcGIS JavaScript 4.x library.

In the "Classic" map viewer, this can be done with adding a "Map Notes" layer. I don't believe either work with the Draw widget, however.

One way around this could also be to create a "sketch" feature layer and use the Edit widget instead, which we've done for this sort of thing. This would give you a true data layer with editable shapes and attributes.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS

View solution in original post

2 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Unfortunately, sketches done in the Draw widget are "one and done".

In the new generation of the Map Viewer, there are sketch layers that allow this sort of editing of existing drawn shapes, and I would assume that the capability will eventually find its way into some of the newer apps built on the ArcGIS JavaScript 4.x library.

In the "Classic" map viewer, this can be done with adding a "Map Notes" layer. I don't believe either work with the Draw widget, however.

One way around this could also be to create a "sketch" feature layer and use the Edit widget instead, which we've done for this sort of thing. This would give you a true data layer with editable shapes and attributes.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
KyrstenFrench
New Contributor II

Thank you for this suggestion!

0 Kudos