ArcGIS Online very slow when retrieving geometries from a feature service

Jump to solution
04-01-2015 11:06 AM
JonathanZaid
New Contributor III

I have started to notice very poor performance with ArcGIS Online when retrieving geometries from feature services.

I've included a link of a very simple feature service which has polygons and a tiny bit of data for 255 countries. The complete data set when downloaded in JSON format is about 2.7 MB. It takes anywhere from 10-15 seconds to download if geometries are retrieved, without geometries its under 1 second. There is nothing particular about this service and its just an example.

This actually starts to become detrimental when using feature like this in more complex applications like AGOL Story Maps, which in some cases seem to automatically abort downloads when the exceed certain time limits; I've seen downloads aborted after 10 seconds in some storymaps. The result being that the beautifully designed storymap is either very slow, or displayed incorrectly because missing data from layers.

Is this normal that a simple service should have such poor response time?

http://services1.arcgis.com/ZGrptGlLV2IILABw/arcgis/rest/services/CountriesLightGray1K/FeatureServer...

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Nathaniel, 

The above service seems to have some very complex geometry, over 100,000 vertices on some features. Depending on the use of this specific dataset, I would recommend simplifying the geometery, publishing the service as a tiled service or apply multiscale geometry optimization settings on the feature layer to improve the performance of this particular data set.

-Kelly

View solution in original post

5 Replies
NathanielRoth1
New Contributor III

Anyone have any thoughts? I've also got a relatively simple feature service that is slow to load. I've created several others that I'd expect to be much slower to load that out perform it.

http://services2.arcgis.com/zr3KAIbsRSUyARHG/arcgis/rest/services/IW_SMARA/FeatureServer/1

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Nathaniel, 

The above service seems to have some very complex geometry, over 100,000 vertices on some features. Depending on the use of this specific dataset, I would recommend simplifying the geometery, publishing the service as a tiled service or apply multiscale geometry optimization settings on the feature layer to improve the performance of this particular data set.

-Kelly

RyanDavis1
Occasional Contributor

I'm having the same issue with trying to download JSON with lots of vertices.  However, I'm a little confused by your recommendations.  Aren't the latter two (publishing as a tiled service and applying multiscale geometry optimization settings) only helpful when publishing?  As I understand the question, it is from the perspective of a data consumer/user and not from that of a publisher.

0 Kudos
MichaelGinzburg
Occasional Contributor II

Hello, still suffering from this problem and overall poor AGOL performance. ESRI do something...

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow

Hi Michael,

Can you share the service that is performing poorly? I added some specific suggestions for the service mentioned in the post above. Another option is to contact technical support and they can look into what may be causing the performance issue. Feel free to reply here if you need help getting in contact with support.

-Kelly

0 Kudos