arcgis online - text members

04-29-2020 01:59 AM
ChristianSailer2
Occasional Contributor

Hello

I'd like to direct-message distinct members in my public group?

How can I do that?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Christian,

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, it is not possible to send messages through the ArcGIS Online platform to other members. There is a notification system (i.e. you're notified when you have been added to a group), but not a messaging system. 

You can use the ArcGIS API for Python to member information for people in your organization (see this blog post by Egge-Jan Pollé‌). However, I don't think this will work for people outside of your organization. 

There was a similar question asked by Peter Timmers‌ which looks like it never got answered   

I found this idea about adding a messaging capability to ArcGIS Online. It's a pretty old post, but maybe it can be revitalized with some comments and up-votes. Or if this doesn't cover exactly what you want, I recommend making a new one! If you do, share it here so we can spread the word  

Cheers,

Katherine

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
ChristianSailer2
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Katherine for the encompassing inquiry. This issue (#communication) is pretty essential for professional collaboration. Is nobody else demanding that? Do you know if this #idea is in the pipeline?

0 Kudos
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Just based on the updates that Esri puts out, I haven't heard anything about this planned on being implemented. Again, I recommend either commenting on that idea I linked to and up-voting it, or starting a new idea to describe exactly what you are looking/hoping for. Esri really does look at those, so it's possible it could make a difference. (I actually got a call once from an Esri rep to follow up on a comment I made on an idea, because they were gathering user feedback to aid in their product plan)

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos