ArcGIS Online Question for Collector

04-20-2023 07:11 AM
chaeunwoo
New Contributor

Hi! GIS Technician, relatively new to ArcGIS Pro and Online.

I need to set up a basic map for mobile workers to collect point data in the field using Collector via their mobile devices. They only need to use one point layer to collect new points and simple attribute info. Any additional layers in the map are only used as reference layers. I have set up my map in Pro with the required layers as needed, but I am unsure if I should share my map as a web map, or ONLY share the desired point layer as a web layer.

I understand how to proceed with sharing to the web and how to access the content online, enable sync for offline use etc, I'm just unclear if for my desired application to work with only one layer, if I should be sharing the map or just the layer?

Any clarification is helpful! Thanks, folks.

0 Kudos
4 Replies
Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi! 

So, the way I always go about it is share the layer to your AGOL organization (with sync and editing enabled, as you mentioned) and then create a web map with that layer in it within the AGOL web interface. On the web maps Item Details page, you can confirm that it's correctly set up for offline use.

Hope that helps!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
CarlMorrison
Occasional Contributor

I have a similar situation and share only the layers needed in the field and not the map, for us the default ESRI base maps are adequate in the field.  When we need a better aerial for instance, I add it directly to the web map and set it to be used as the basemap. 

Also, I suggest you use Field Maps instead of Collector. 

Katie_Clark
MVP Regular Contributor

Good point! Agreed, @CarlMorrison , sometimes I use the names interchangeably in my head, but yes, definitely time to be switching to Field Maps instead of Collector!

Best,
Katie

“The goal is not simply to ‘work hard, play hard.’ The goal is to make our work and our play indistinguishable.”
- Simon Sinek
0 Kudos
RhettZufelt
MVP Frequent Contributor

Agreed, unless the "simple attibute info" is always the same for each feature type (and not too many of them).  Then Quick Capture really shines.

R_

0 Kudos