ArcGIS online - no data in published feature service

02-15-2016 02:57 PM
HCCGISICT_
New Contributor III

Have been using ArcGIS online for quite some time, publishing hundreds of services, in this instance the service details indicate 2Mb of data in the service, the symbology is apparent in the legend view;  Have tried republishing & overwriting the existing service, there is no data in the feature table?  This is not the largest data set we have published or the most complicated.

https://hobartcc.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=1d2e65bd0d8c44cb8a41cb242a29e64c

I'd be interested to see if anyone else is able to view the data and has suggestions as to how to rectify?

Roy Langman

City of Hobart

https://hobartcc.maps.arcgis.com/home/index.html

0 Kudos
11 Replies
KyleBalke__GISP
Occasional Contributor III

I would run the Check Geometry tool on the original dataset.  If any errors are found run Repair Geometry (make a backup first) and then try to re-publish.

0 Kudos
HCCGISICT_
New Contributor III

Thanks Kyle,

Ran the Geometry check tool with no change – zero errors in the check table the tool produces.

So I took a selection from the entire data set, exported to a new feature service then published this – which worked.

Is there an upper limit to the number of objects in a feature service? This feature class in question has some 17k + points, which we have already published on our data portal.

Thanks for the suggestions. I might try exporting a larger version of my original feature class to see if something was missed in the original process.

Roy,

Roy Langman

GIS Development | ICT services

50 Macquarie Street, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 7000 | hobartcity.com.au<http://www.hobartcity.com.au/>

Telephone (03) 6238 2452

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

There are 17,000 points in the feature service you are trying to publish? And you said you have published larger ones without issues? Have you tried loading or looking at the larger ones lately? If they are showing up just fine then I would wager something is going on with your current feature class. I have found sometimes that my larger data takes FOREVER to show up and sometimes I am not patient enough. I assume you have 'waited' long enough but maybe it wouldn't hurt to let it sit and continue to load... And if you're other/larger feature classes are not showing up then maybe something else is going on.

I am guessing you have checked, but have you looked at scale dependencies? Sometimes ArcGIS Online likes to get "smart" and screw with scale dependencies without you knowing...

0 Kudos
HCCGISICT_
New Contributor III

HI Adrian,

I suspect there is an issue with either the size of the service or an underlying error in the feature service.

In selecting a portion of this feature class, exporting to a new fc and then publishing all was ok. I don’t have the time to go back to the source data set and re export the entire feature class then try to publish again.

Yes, waited a long time to see if that allowed things to load, also fiddled with the scales to no avail. Perhaps we are pushing the limits of what is intended.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Roy Langman

GIS Development | ICT services

50 Macquarie Street, Hobart, Tasmania, Australia, 7000 | hobartcity.com.au<http://www.hobartcity.com.au/>

Telephone (03) 6238 2452

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Wow, I don't know what else could be happening. It would be tedious to check over 17,000 points. But, I wonder what is really happening... Sorry I couldn't be of more help. It sounds like you may have to go through and try publishing like 16,000 points and sort of gauge from there if it works then this, if not then that, etc.

MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III

Is your Shape field checked as visible in ArcMAp?

0 Kudos
HCCGISICT_
New Contributor III

Its a good suggestion Michael,

Yes, shape field was checked as visible, object ID was not so I tried with this checked to see if there was any change, nothing.

I will at some stage rebuild the feature class in desktop and see if there is any change, in the mean time I had success with the paired down version 3400 objects rather than the 16k+.

Bit by bit we test these things!

Cheers,

Roy.

0 Kudos
OrcaMaritime
New Contributor II

I'm having this same exact issue. I've run so many checks. Did you ever find a solution to this??

0 Kudos
KE
by
Occasional Contributor

If you turn off the editor tracking fields, and you have versioned data that uses editor tracking, Pro will publish a service with no data, or give you a failed to stage service error.