ArcGis Online - how to move a feature

Jump to solution
01-14-2016 10:57 AM
MelissaMitchell
New Contributor III

I'm not sure how to move a feature while editing. I can add and delete but can't move the point. I've looked at the properties and full editing has been enabled. I can't figure out how to move the feature to another location.

thank you!

49 Replies
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

This post began in January 2016. Its now January 2019 and still no resolution to this? ESRI if you are out there, not being able to edit features is kind of a big problem!

I'm having same issues. Cant move point features using the editing tools in my app. I have an editable feature service layer. No M values. Loaded into a web map I used to create a web app. Within the app, I cant move geometry. Tried edit and smart edit widgets. Feature layer settings are set to edit, layer shared, etc. Seems like an issue with bad outdated editing widgets that don't work. 

KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

I'd suggest getting in touch with tech support to look into the specific issue if the suggestions on this post aren't helping to resolve the issue. A tech support analyst can dedicate time and testing to your specific dataset to get to the bottom of the issue in a timely manner.

-Kelly

0 Kudos
BrettCarlock
New Contributor II

Exact same issue here with a point layer. All settings set properly/as noted above, no presence of M/Z values, cross-validated in IE11/Edge/Chrome/Firefox/Edge (Chromium-based), and all fail to edit/move the point data.

It is only editable using ArcGIS Pro/ ArcMap on desktop.

0 Kudos
AdamDaily
Occasional Contributor II

Its been a while since I had this issue but I did get it to work. I believe what worked for me was what Frank Vignati said in this post. Remove any attribute based symbology in the webmap you want to use for your application.

0 Kudos
BrettCarlock
New Contributor II

I wish that applied here. It is a simple symbology, Location (Single Symbol), with no filters, no attributes-based styling, no labeling, no pop-ups, and lives in its own map with no other layers than the required basemap.

Thanks for your suggestion, however.

0 Kudos
BrettCarlock
New Contributor II

Looks like the upcoming Map Viewer (Beta) allows me to move/edit my point features. Now to just wait until this is rolled out into production and works across all browsers as it should. Until then, edit in ArcGIS Pro

0 Kudos
JussiLehtonen
Esri Contributor

I managed to find a solution for myself. Here's how.

I had the same issue: M values were disabled but points still wouldn't move. I tried removing labels from points in my webmap --> points move. I tried re-enabling the labels -->points won't move. So the solution for me was to remove the labels from the editable webmap.

CarlosKrefft
Occasional Contributor

My solution was this: Move non-editable layers to the bottom of the layer list.

I always had HasM: false.

TLDR; I had a web map with layers from multiple hosted feature services (HFS). Some services where editable and others where not. I noticed if I opened the editable HFS within it's own new web map, I could move points around with no problem. I could NOT move points in the original web map with all the services. I was comparing JSONs, nothing much there that stood out, but out of sheer luck I turned off the visibility of the non-editable layers and I was able to move my editable points. But I needed to view non-editable layers, so I moved them to the bottom of the list and vualá! 

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Using the Smart Editor, you can edit geometry by entering the coordinates.  I altered the coordinate tool (default) to use the Web Mercator (no TKWKID needed)

1) select item in smart editor.

2)  identify the correct location with the coordinate tool in the lower left corner.  highlight and copy the coordinates

3)  choose the xy option under edit geometry

4) paste the coordinates. cut the longitude, paste it in the next field.

5) this moves the point. save edit.

edit geometry point.PNGwith degrees, but switching to lat then long in the display for convenience, and also adding more numerals for precision. This allows for a quicker edit.

0 Kudos
cpbride2020
New Contributor III

I just achieved this end by creating an empty shapefile with m-Values = TRUE, and then copied all of the data from my original dataset into the new featureclass. Uploaded to AGOL and selected with the point-click method. In my case, I have over 1000 points in the same location so after I selected the pile of points, I had to choose which record to edit from a dialog box. I would really like to be able to select a point from the attribute table but I guess that's not a thing yet. As long as I matched up the OID, I can accurately choose which feature I want to relocate

0 Kudos