ArcGIS Online for Organizations - Contractor Logins

Jump to solution
01-09-2015 02:40 PM
KyleMorgan
New Contributor III

We would like to share an ArcGIS Online map with a subcontractor by providing him with one of our username/passwords but restrict what he can see to ONLY the shared map.

When creating a custom role, there doesn't seem to have any options to restrict Gallery access.  Is there a way to set this up so that the login is excluded from gallery content data shared with the organization and is limited to just what has been shared with his group/role?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Kyle,

Are your gallery applications and maps shared with the organization? If so, any member of your organization, including the subcontractor will be able to see the data that has this sharing permission. In order to prevent this from happening, you will need to ensure that none of your content has sharing permissions above shared with group.

As another option, does your sub-contractor have an ArcGIS Online (subscription) account of their own? If so, follow the steps below to create a group with content that the subcontractor can see, without inviting them to the organization.

1. Ensure that the subcontractor has a subscription based ArcGIS Online Account

2. Ensure that the subcontractor has the 'Who can see my profile?' setting set to Everyone.

3. Create a group that is private in your organization.

4. Select Invite Users and type in the subcontractors username (ensure that the check box, Only search for members in <organization Name> is unchecked)

5. Share the web map with the newly created group.

6. Have the user login to their organization, accept the group invitation.

7. They will then be able to see the data that is only shared with the group.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Kelly

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Kyle,

Are your gallery applications and maps shared with the organization? If so, any member of your organization, including the subcontractor will be able to see the data that has this sharing permission. In order to prevent this from happening, you will need to ensure that none of your content has sharing permissions above shared with group.

As another option, does your sub-contractor have an ArcGIS Online (subscription) account of their own? If so, follow the steps below to create a group with content that the subcontractor can see, without inviting them to the organization.

1. Ensure that the subcontractor has a subscription based ArcGIS Online Account

2. Ensure that the subcontractor has the 'Who can see my profile?' setting set to Everyone.

3. Create a group that is private in your organization.

4. Select Invite Users and type in the subcontractors username (ensure that the check box, Only search for members in <organization Name> is unchecked)

5. Share the web map with the newly created group.

6. Have the user login to their organization, accept the group invitation.

7. They will then be able to see the data that is only shared with the group.

Please let me know if you have any questions,

Kelly

0 Kudos
KyleMorgan
New Contributor III

Hi Kelly,

Thank you for the feedback.  I have some other questions that I am bringing up with our sales rep and will post them back to this thread for future reference once I have solid information.

----- UPDATE ----

After discussing with Esri, the solution that we will be implementing is as follows:

1. Purchase a secondary ArcGIS Online for Organizations account for sub-contractors who currently do not have a paid-subscription.
  2. Using 1 account to admin, distribute 4 logins as needed for short-term, project based work.  Associated e-mails will be e-mail aliases to an internal e-mail box for control.
  3. Invite the logins to the main ArcGIS Online for Organizations account as per Kelly's recommended workflow.

If a sub-contractor already has a paid subscription, Kelly's workflow will be implemented without the above work-around.  By controlling the logins with strict permissions applied, the subs are able to use only the specified services securely without additional credit consumption.

Cheers!