ArcGIS Online - Export Data as Automatic Download

11-09-2017 02:09 PM
KevinRathgeber
New Contributor II

We want to setup a third party account inside our organizational ArcGIS Online to securely obtain data from a Feature Layer we have setup.  We set the Feature Layer to allow export and we then setup a minimum permissioned Level 1 user with access to that Feature Layer.  To our surprise the exporting of data was not allowed.  Upon more investigation we discovered the following:

Currently, in order to download data from a Feature Layer in ArcGIS Online requires two things.  You need a Level 2 organizational user and that user is required to have Create, update, delete permissions.

Why is this one may ask?  ArcGIS Online requires you to first save the exported data as content before you can download the file.  The only way to save content in ArcGIS online is to be a Level 2 user.  This is problem for a couple reasons.  1. You must now supply a more expensive level 2 user and you must now use credits for storing additional content that is technically already stored in ArcGIS Online.

In the history of the internet typical default behavior is when you try to download data, the data is streamed so that you may save the file locally.  Even ArcGIS Online's Open Data site allow you to directly download the data.

This is a request that, as default behavior, ArcGIS Online allow direct download of "Export Data".  Non-default behavior would be to provide an option to save as content if you need it. (of course setting this as Default will obviously break setups that expect the save as content to be default I will accept having a button to automatic download and bypass the requirement to save as content 🙂 )

13 Replies
stacey_act
New Contributor II

Hi,

@KellyGerrow has there been any update on this? Many employees in my organization are required to export our data to excel for reporting purposes. To give them the option to do this, I am required to provide them with a Creator licence. Most of these users can be on Viewer licences except that they need the ability to export data. 

Is there any option other than providing a Creator licence here?

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Did you ever get an update or work around on this? 

0 Kudos
stacey_act
New Contributor II

with recent updates to AGOL, you can now enable direct download links from Dashboards - https://doc.arcgis.com/en/dashboards/create-and-share/download-data.htm 

We also now have a python script running daily to create excel docs & save them to sharepoint. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks for the tips - i'm having a look at this now and trying to learn how to make a user friendly filter based on dashboard user attribute selections like what can be done in S123, basically trying to replicate it now. 

It's a shame the related tables aren't included with the export. 

Running a script to pull this data to SharePoint (I assume you are in enterprise) is an end goal for some surveys, if you have any resources on this you are happy to share that'd be useful! 🙂 

0 Kudos