ArcGIS Online - Calculate Field Automatically

Jump to solution
01-22-2015 11:35 AM
BenGrod
Occasional Contributor III

When editing an ArcGIS Online hosted feature layer within a web map or web app is there a way to automatically calculate a field upon creation of the feature? I am trying to automatically calculate the area (square feet) of a polygon after it is created.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Ben, this is not possible.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Shouldn't there be a SHAPE.AREA field within your feature service?

0 Kudos
BenGrod

Yes, but the coordinate system is WGS 84 and the shape.area is square meters. I actually need to populate the square feet field which is a simple calculation but I would like to do it automatically.

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Ben, this is not possible.

BenGrod

Yeah, I was afraid of that. Thank you though Tim!

MikeGarza
New Contributor III

Ben, I am facing the same problem you are facing. Were you able to find a solution to this problem? I am having users drop a point on a map and I would like for it to auto field calculate text into a new field.

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Mike,

in your case you might be able to work with a domain. It really depends on what you want to populate.

Tim

MikeGarza
New Contributor III

Tim, thanks for the quick reply. Unfortunately, a domain will not work because when the user drops in a point I want a new empty field to field calculate the name of that point (which will be unique) along with the data from another field. So once the point gets dropped the data from the other field will be combined with the name of the point that was just dropped and that will always be unique to every point.

0 Kudos
TimWitt2
MVP Alum

Mike,

in ArcGIS Online this is not possible, you can only do this in ArcGIS Desktop.

Tim

MikeGarza
New Contributor III

What would the syntax be to have it automatically field calculate a field in desktop? Maybe if I can have that syntax already placed in the empty field once a point is dropped the automatic field calculation will just happen.

0 Kudos