ArcGIS Online Assistant and Copying WebApps to Portal

10-08-2020 11:23 AM
ChristopherBowering
Occasional Contributor II

I was just attempting to use the ArcGIS Online Assistant to copy content (a WebMap and associated WebApp) from my ArcGIS Online account to my Portal account.  I followed the process - which is pretty straightforward - and both appeared to copy over to ArcGIS Online.  The WebMap worked fine but upon opening the WebApp, a frowning face appears with the text "item does not exist or is inaccessible" underneath it.  For all intents and purposes, the WebApp settings and sharing are identical to my other existing Portal WebApps.  Has anyone experienced this before?  The only option looks to be recreating the WebApp in Portal now.

4 Replies
JayJohnsonWashoeCounty
Occasional Contributor III

Christopher,

Everything I've seen suggests that moving items between AGOL and Portal requires using the cloning function of Python API.

Example: Copy content—Portal for ArcGIS | Documentation for ArcGIS Enterprise 

I have not personally used this, though it is on my "figure out how to do this" list.

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
ChristopherBowering
Occasional Contributor II

Hi Jay,

Thanks for the reply.  That is quite the script!  ESRI sure likes to impose challenges on its users.  If you get around to this on your list, please let me know if you figure it out.  I'm not very adept with scripting.  I will say that the Assistant does transfer WebMaps perfectly fine which is at least something.  It hasn't been taking me too terribly long to recreate the WebApps since the WebMap foundations are there.  Still, it's more cumbersome than it should be.

- Chris 

JayJohnsonWashoeCounty

Agreed about the complexity.  I'm pretty much in the same place you are - it takes less time to re-create the apps (and there is a certainty of success) than to TRY to figure out the script.  Long-term though, it will be necessary to figure this out.  I'll post back here if I get anywhere with this.

Jay

Jay
Washoe County GIS
tigerwoulds

I ran into this today while transferring a Web AppBuilder app from Portal to Portal. After you transfer, you need to edit the items JSON in AGO Assistant and replace any instances of the old Portal URL to the new Portal. Doing this let me view/edit it properly.