ArcGIS Online 7.4: How to synchronize data collected by ArcGIS Collector with its original feature class stored in file geodatabase?

03-13-2020 02:52 AM
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

ArcGIS Online 7.4: How to synchronize data collected by ArcGIS Collector with its original feature class stored in file geodatabase?

In the screenshot below, the scenario below is suggested

- A feature class contained in file geodatabase is published using Pro on ArcGIS Online.

- This published layer will be contained in “web map viewer”

- The “web map viewer” is called with Collector

- The layer is edited in the Collector

Now, how the data edited in the Collector is synchronized with its original feature class stored in file geodatabase?

Saleh Ahmed

Rawan Saleh

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine
5 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jamal,

I don’t think this is possible because when you are editing a feature layer hosted in ArcGIS Online, you are editing web enabled geospatial data that is hosted on the cloud. This data is copied and published during the publishing process, resulting in a copy of the data residing in the ArcGIS Online databases.

For this reason, after publishing your initial dataset, the source data won't be aware of any changes that happen to the feature layer. But you can export a file geodatabase of the feature layer, by using any of these tools : 

Use layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

Extract Data—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS 

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Rawan.

As the data either stored in a file geodatabase in the premises or the one that’s transferred to cloud continues to change, I assume that there should be a tool that synchronizes both of them.

What is the best practice to perform this sort of synchronization?

Jamal Numan
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jamal,

There’s no direct way I’m aware of but I could suggest to do one of the following approaches:

1. Use windows schedule to run the following tool: Migrating data from the Survey Feature Service to an Enterprise Geodatabase
2. Or you can publish an editable layer into your ArcGIS Server and host that service into your ArcGIS Online then use it inside your collector application. For more information kindly check ArcGIS Server web services.

JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

Thanks Rawan for the help.

- The first option has no tool! It is configuration! Not sure if there is a tool anyway

- The second option does make sense but what if the there is no ArcGIS Server deployed and all is wanted to be managed by the ArcGIS Online?

Jamal Numan
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Jamal, 

They added a hyperlink to the tool in that thread, and they describe the configuration and steps to use that tool which you can find it here

[- The second option does make sense but what if the there is no ArcGIS Server deployed and all is wanted to be managed by the ArcGIS Online?] I'm not sure about this bit, but I will have a look to see If there's any direct way to do this.