Alone in a universe

Jump to solution
02-23-2016 07:59 PM
DellaRobertson
Occasional Contributor II

I posted a poll on 21 February 2016 in the ArcGIS Online group.  I had 75 views, but no one filled out the poll.  I wonder why.

I changed the post to another group.  Maybe I will have success.

Does anyone know why users don't fill out the poll?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I wouldn't be worried about it..  the poll with the largest number of views (3177) only had 17 votes in total.  People are curious beasts and complicating the fact is the number of views is not the number of unique people viewing.  You could have had the owner of the poll checking it multiple times to guage progress and similarly for those that voted, to see how their answer fit into the big question.

Until polls reflect the number of true unique viewers (they do know that you voted and what you voted) it will be hard to guage impact of the poll and interpretation of its results.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

If no one comments on the poll, then the poll/discussion will not get bumped to the top of the discussion pages. Therefore, it sort of get lost in the GeoNet, unfortunately.

You could post the link to your poll in this post so that users can see it and vote on it.

DellaRobertson

Thank you, Adrian

How do I link the poll to this post?

0 Kudos
RebeccaStrauch__GISP
MVP Emeritus

Della Robertson wrote:

Thank you, Adrian

How do I link the poll to this post?

To answer this question, if you go to the poll and copy the URL, you can paste it in a response here.

Another way to get out appropriate groups to see it is to add a tag with the @  and group name. Those following that group will get notified, but don't post to too many or it may get overlooked too (then it appears more as spam to those getting too many notifications).

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I agree with what Rebecca said. Also, you could post a comment on it which would hypothetically bump it to the top of the Recent Activity.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

I wouldn't be worried about it..  the poll with the largest number of views (3177) only had 17 votes in total.  People are curious beasts and complicating the fact is the number of views is not the number of unique people viewing.  You could have had the owner of the poll checking it multiple times to guage progress and similarly for those that voted, to see how their answer fit into the big question.

Until polls reflect the number of true unique viewers (they do know that you voted and what you voted) it will be hard to guage impact of the poll and interpretation of its results.

DellaRobertson

Thank you, Dan.

I suppose it is too difficult to develop an algorithim to accurately count unique viewers or discount authors who go back to their post.

Della

0 Kudos
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III

Just my opinion here.....but those polls and other fluff are just clutter in this forum. I believe most people visit this site to ask questions and find answers.

DellaRobertson

Michael,

Thank you for your opinion.

I am actually interested in who is using ArcGIS Online because I am a teacher.  In any change-effort, it is extremely difficult to move from the comfortable to the innovative.  I want to know how many teachers are out there.  We can provide support and encouragement to each other.

Now, you know why I created the poll.

0 Kudos
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Della - I regularly have hundreds of readers on some of my posts but frequently, zero replies. Ditto for the blogs we write - I am sure there are many reasons why most people read and have little time to reply.   Keep up the good work you are doing, though!  I will look for your poll.

Joseph K