AGOL- Where are my geocoded addresses?

03-15-2019 03:21 PM
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I uploaded an xlsx file of restaurants and their respective addresses to my AGOL account. I accept the geocoding processing and use our own (not ESRIs global) locating service.  It tells me that 214 address are good, but two are not.  Good.  That's what I expected.  I then accept the suggestion to review the addresses, and it takes me to a map view.  So far so good. 

However, when I attempt to alter the two non-located addresses, nothing really happens. Following  the help page , I enter the corrected address in the table, and hit enter.  It still gives me the same world-wide suggestions it originally did.  On top of that, the 214 points that allegedly geocoded are no where to be seen on the map.  I can 'zoom to the layer' and the extent is correct, but no points appear.  But....  Back at the item details page, I can click the Visualization button, and they magically appear.

I've probably geocoded millions of address records using ArcGIS Desktop: 15 years or so in 9-1-1 will do that to you. This xlxs worksheet geocodes just fine in ArcGIS Pro 2.3 with the same locator: so what's the trick in AGOL?

That should just about do it....
11 Replies
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Forgot to add this little bit of AGOL wisdom:

Yeah...  I know...

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Joe,

I'm not sure on this one, can you get in touch with tech support to dig into this further?

Shana Britt

Robert Jensen

-Kelly

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Will do.  Thanks!

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe, did you end up reaching out to Support?

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Not yet...  Probably today; I'll keep you posted...

Shana Britt

0 Kudos
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

Joe, you likely need to provide the spreadsheet for investigating the problem. 

0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

Shana & Kelly-  I have a brown shirt on today; the last time I tried to upload an xlsx worksheet and geocode it on the way I had a blue shirt on. 

Today, I was able to upload the same worksheet, use the same locator, and now I can see my 217 points in a map view. 

I guess brown is my color...

Shana Britt

Kelly Gerrow

0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your beautiful poem. It made me chuckle

I would still suggest having this looked into as I wouldn't want you to have to wear brown for the rest of your life, just in order to geocode. If you continue to have issues when you are wearing other colours, I'd suggest using fiddler or developer tools to capture the network traffic. That way tech support can help investigate the calls made to the API and discover if the nature of the issue. 

Here is a link about using fiddler https://community.esri.com/groups/technical-support/blog/2018/06/07/monitoring-web-service-requests-...

-Kelly

JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus

I downloaded and installed Fiddler, but with it running I'm not able to get to a login screen for AGOL.  I had my friend and colleague James Burton (who is wearing a green shirt today) try to upload and geocode the same spreadsheet with the same locator (that worked for me earlier) and he is unable to view the geocoded points and gets the same little pearl that the layer did not draw completely.

Sigh....

0 Kudos