Select to view content in your preferred language

AGOL Web Map - symbol images upload with 15% transparency

Jump to solution
08-08-2024 07:04 AM
RLiebhart
Emerging Contributor

I have a Web Map, where I am uploading images to be my icons. No matter what I do when I upload the images (by going to Change Symbol > Category > Added Styles > Uploaded Symbols), they always upload with 15% fill transparency and 50% outline transparency. These settings are greyed out and are not changeable--as shown below.

RLiebhart_0-1723125692008.png

Is there anything I can do to have these images have 0% fill transparency and 0% outline transparency, as I do not want them to have the map show through them at all once they are used as icons? Thanks, everyone!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The reference layer is drawing above. If you want to adjust this go to the basemap and move the reference layer down to the base section. 

RussRoberts_0-1723132815403.png

View solution in original post

5 Replies
jcarlson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Can you post a screenshot of the map to confirm that the pictures actually have transparency? Greyed out settings aren't "locked", they simply don't apply. Your image has no fill or outline, so there's nothing for those settings to apply to.

- Josh Carlson
Kendall County GIS
RLiebhart
Emerging Contributor

The place I most found it was when the signs are over top of a hybrid reference layer, such as this one:

RLiebhart_0-1723131525440.png

RLiebhart_1-1723131675405.png

It doesn't seem to be transparent with respect to the actual imagery below, but the desired effect would be for the sign icons to completely cover up the symbol/text for the streets.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

The reference layer is drawing above. If you want to adjust this go to the basemap and move the reference layer down to the base section. 

RussRoberts_0-1723132815403.png

RLiebhart
Emerging Contributor

Thank you so much! Everything was set to 0% transparency, so I couldn't figure out why I was observing the things that I was. I assume it has to do with the 'Normal' setting for blending, but your solution achieved the desired results. Thanks again!

RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Those were the settings of a symbol that supported those vector symbol properties. Those properties wont apply to a simple picture marker symbol that is the output of uploading a PNG or JPEG for example.  Will look to see if we can improve this a reset them to 0s when using a symbol in that format.