AGOL layer rendered useless after using 'Append' tool in ArcGIS Pro to update layer

05-02-2019 01:19 PM
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

I had published my organizations parcel data as a hosted feature layer from ArcGIS Pro to be accessed in a public facing web map. In order to update the new month's parcels, I ran 'Delete Features' and the 'Append' tools on from ArcGIS Pro. It took a very long time, but the Append eventually 'succeeded.' However, now when trying to view the layer in AGOL, I get an message saying 'There was an Error' on the item details and data tabs. I realize this might not have been the best workflow for such a large layer, but for the time being my organization does not yet have an Enterprise agreement and the 'Overwrite web layer' function was failing. 

Can I recover this hosted layer? And what is recommended for updating or overwriting rather large vector feature layers? The 'Update layer' option was not available from the item details. 

0 Kudos
2 Replies
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Hi,

I'd suggest getting in touch with tech support to investigate what happened. If you are updating values in a layer and want to keep existing layers, I recommend using append. If you are totally changing the data in the layer, then I'd suggest using overwrite. Here is a link to a blog about using the append tool in ArcGIS Online

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/data-management/whats-new-with-hosted-featur...

ArcGIS Pro

-Kelly

0 Kudos
IngridMans
Occasional Contributor II

I tried to use the 'Overwrite Web layer' in ArcGIS Pro, but it fails and now there is no data in the web layer. The log isn't very helpful; just 'Failed to publish web layer.' Any other advice?

0 Kudos