After AGOL December update, newly created hosted feature layer view is not editable when added to existing map

Jump to solution
12-09-2021 02:26 PM
Trippetoe
Occasional Contributor III

Hello.

Today (12/9/2021) i created a new hosted feature layer in AGOL with the December updated process for creating views (https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/create-hosted-views.htm). The view was created successfully.

I went into the 'Settings > Feature Layer (hosted, view) > Editing' and selected Enable editing and saved changes. When I added the view to an existing AGOL web map (using Map Viewer Classic), the view is not editable.

In map viewer classic, when i click on the 'configure pop-up' button, the checkbox to enable editing of each attribute is not visible (only the 'Display' checkbox is present).

I have verified that each field in the hosted feature layer view should be editable by following the directions here,

If i select the option (in the AGOL Overview tab) to add the layer to a map with full editing control, i can indeed make edits. Adding the view to an existing web map is a no-go for editing

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Trippetoe

Working with Esri tech support, we were able to reproduce the situation when using my hosted feature service - that is, we could not edit an editable view created from my hosted feature service. However, we could not reproduce the error on any other hosted feature service that we tried. So, the official Esri recommendation was the way-too-familiar suggestion to export the hosted feature service and then republish it.  And while that ultimately did solve that problem, it created many more problems - all the other views, maps and apps that were dependent of the original hosted feature service are now broken.

I wish that Esri's default solution to problems with hosted feature services was not to republish them, and i wish that when you do have to republish a service that there was a way to maintain / set the item id and url so you could maintain\preserve all the connections to it.  I also wish i could buy a winning lottery ticket. maybe one day 😉

View solution in original post

2 Replies
ABishop
MVP Regular Contributor

Hello,

I don't see anything online that would implicate an issue with what you are attempting to do.  Although recently I do recall reading something (I tried to find it but cannot) which referred to the deprecation of the Map Viewer Classic. This may also include the functionality of it when it comes to newly updated processes.

Amanda Bishop, GISP
Trippetoe

Working with Esri tech support, we were able to reproduce the situation when using my hosted feature service - that is, we could not edit an editable view created from my hosted feature service. However, we could not reproduce the error on any other hosted feature service that we tried. So, the official Esri recommendation was the way-too-familiar suggestion to export the hosted feature service and then republish it.  And while that ultimately did solve that problem, it created many more problems - all the other views, maps and apps that were dependent of the original hosted feature service are now broken.

I wish that Esri's default solution to problems with hosted feature services was not to republish them, and i wish that when you do have to republish a service that there was a way to maintain / set the item id and url so you could maintain\preserve all the connections to it.  I also wish i could buy a winning lottery ticket. maybe one day 😉