Add Data from ArcGIS Online/ Add Basemap

Jump to solution
01-29-2019 12:33 PM
GeorgeKatsambas
Occasional Contributor III

I just started receiving this error today when trying through ArcMap 10.5.1 to add data or a base map from ArcGIS Online. ESRI support recommended the patch TLS  which deals with the change that will occur in April 2019 for HTTPS, however, I am the only one receiving this errors as of now in my organization and no one else has implemented this patch. Could this be an IIS issue as I am the only one who uses web Application Builder and publishing to ArcGIS Server?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

George,

Take a look at this article:

Esri Support Esri Software Products Affected by TLS 1.2 Implementation 

I received an email about this since I'm an admin in my AGOL group (at least I think that's why, or an admin in my org).

For 10.5, you will need to go through these steps to install the patch

How To: Install the TLS 1.2 patch on ArcGIS Desktop 

View solution in original post

8 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

George,

Take a look at this article:

Esri Support Esri Software Products Affected by TLS 1.2 Implementation 

I received an email about this since I'm an admin in my AGOL group (at least I think that's why, or an admin in my org).

For 10.5, you will need to go through these steps to install the patch

How To: Install the TLS 1.2 patch on ArcGIS Desktop 

GeorgeKatsambas

But this TLS patch takes affect for April 2019 security change

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Yeah, true. Good point. Maybe it would be a good idea to install it anyway to see if you get past those errors?

GeorgeKatsambas

Ok the patch did resolve this issue, I guess April 16th came early.

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Ha, who knew! I am glad it worked. 

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi George, 

Glad that the patch got you up and running, but like you mentioned in the previous messages, you shouldn't be seeing that error connecting to ArcGIS Online until after the update in April (if the patch isn't installed).

If you go to ArcGIS Administrator > Advanced... > Manage Portal Connections...

Are there any other connections listed there besides arcgis.com? I ask because if you are connected to another portal that enforces TLS 1.2 only, you would get that error. 

Another thing you might want to check is your internet settings. If you're not allowed to use TLS 1.0 or 1.1 at the Operating System level, that might be another cause for the error before you installed the patch. You can check that by searching "Internet Options" in Windows > Advanced > Scroll down to the Security section and see what "Use TLS 1.x" options are checked on/off. 

Nicole

GeorgeKatsambas

I do have use TSL 1X checked on, but in arcgis administrtor i did see this.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

That'll do it! That's the URL used to validate that the patch is working successfully. That URL enforces TLS 1.2 only and would cause an error if you don't have the patch installed. See more here: How To: Validate TLS 1.2 connections for ArcGIS Desktop 

Make sure you switch back to using the arcgis.com portal (select http://www.arcgis.com/ in the list and click Connect) so that you can sign in to your organization and access your content again. And now that you've got the patch installed you should be good to go come April 16!

Hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions. 

Nicole