Ability to move items in map contents.....

Jump to solution
12-21-2012 08:58 AM
MichaelMiller2
Occasional Contributor III
Why are we not able to move items in the contents view to the order we would like? I have a service that is just labels that I would like on top, but see no way to get it to the top, only lets me move it down. The top layer (lines), will not allow me to move it down.  Whats up with this?
Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Unfortunately, you can't order layers any way you want. Some layers are drawn as graphics by the browser, so they're always on top. Map Notes, shapefiles and CSVs added to the map, feature services all get drawn by the browser and will display over map services and wms services. You can order all the 'graphic layers' within the group of layers drawn by the browser and order the map services within the group of map services.

Thanks,

Mike

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
RobertMacQuarrie1
New Contributor II
Hello Michael,

In the ArcGIS.com Map Viewer under details you can hover your mouse over an item, click on the arrow and then get the option to move the layer up or down. 

If you are publishing a hosted feature service from ArcMap, the layers come in in the order they are published in.  If each layer is a service from your ArcGIS Server, you should have the option above to move the layers up and down.  Can you creating a new map, adding content, then trying to move multiple layers up and down?
0 Kudos
MichaelMiller2
Hello Michael,

In the ArcGIS.com Map Viewer under details you can hover your mouse over an item, click on the arrow and then get the option to move the layer up or down. 

If you are publishing a hosted feature service from ArcMap, the layers come in in the order they are published in.  If each layer is a service from your ArcGIS Server, you should have the option above to move the layers up and down.  Can you creating a new map, adding content, then trying to move multiple layers up and down?

I've tried creating a new Map by adding 3 published map layers (road network feature layer, label dynamic layer, and a point feature layer). The road network is at the top, labels second and points third.  I'm not able to move the roads down(move up or move down are grayed out) and can not move either of the label or points above the roads.

I would think you should be able to move any data layer in whatever order you wish.  Confused.
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
Unfortunately, you can't order layers any way you want. Some layers are drawn as graphics by the browser, so they're always on top. Map Notes, shapefiles and CSVs added to the map, feature services all get drawn by the browser and will display over map services and wms services. You can order all the 'graphic layers' within the group of layers drawn by the browser and order the map services within the group of map services.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
MichaelMiller2

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the explanation Mike. 

I'd say this limits the functionality of using AGO as an online interactive mapping platform. I guess I'm a little less than impressed with the flexibility of AGO.

Mike
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor
Does ESRI have any plans for having feature services behave like map services where they can be ordered with respect to each other instead of being completely independent of each other?
0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor
The only way is to make a tiled map service out of your feature service. It is not possible to change how feature services draw in the browser.

Thanks,

Mike
0 Kudos
NatalieBuchwald
New Contributor III

Is there a way to tell which layers will be drawn by the browser as graphics?

0 Kudos
MikeMinami
Esri Notable Contributor

there's no way to tell by looking at the map; you need to know the source of the layer. The list of layer types I posted above are those that draw as graphics.

Mike

NatalieBuchwald
New Contributor III

Hmmm... still having trouble with this. I am using a map service and I cannot move it down in the list in my ArcGIS Online Table of Contents. Here's the deal, when I add the service to my web map with the service URL of .../RecordDrawings/MapServer I can reorder the service in the map BUT the service gets "nested" (not sure what the right term is) and looks like this:

I want to avoid that mainly for cosmetic reasons. But when I add the same service with an added "/0" at the end (like this: .../RecordDrawings/MapServer/0) then the "nested" thing doesn't happen (which I like) but then I can't reorder it in my ArcGIS Online TOC. The "Move up" & "Move down" functionality disappears.

What is the difference between the service with the "/0" and the service without it? And why does that play a role in ordering? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Greatly confused (by something that's probably pretty simple to understand.)

0 Kudos