Select to view content in your preferred language

9.3.1 for publishing maps to ArcGIS Online?

09-27-2012 07:26 AM
TimSpivey
Occasional Contributor III
Can I publish a map to ArcGIS Online using ArcEditor 9.3.1, or is 10 required? If so, can you give me some brief instructions?

Thanks large.
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
The ability to publish data directly to ArcGIS Online as hosted services was introduced at 10.1, providing you have a subscription account.  If you're using 9.3.1. or 10, you can upload zipped shapefiles or csv files to ArcGIS Online and convert them to feature services, or if you have map services in either version, you can add them to your My Content or the map viewer.
0 Kudos
TimSpivey
Occasional Contributor III
Jonathan - thanks.

So if I create a project using 9.3.1, can I upload the project to ArcGIS online and have it function as it would in ArcMap (turn layers on/off, pan/zoom, etc)?
We have a trial subscription, to see if the process will work for us.
0 Kudos
JonathanQuinn
Esri Notable Contributor
Using 9.3.1, you'll have to upload the shapefiles individually to create feature services.  The feature services can then be added to a web map and symbolized as you need them to be.  You can pan, zoom in, and access Esri basemaps for your web map.  You can also create web applications using the templates provided that can be embedded in a website.  Anyway, since you have 9.3.1, you can't simply upload a whole project that can be accessed through a web map; that can only be done through 10.1.

If you had any version of ArcGIS Server, you can upload your map services to ArcGIS Online that are served from your ArcGIS Server.  These can be stored in your My Content section and shared with everyone or specific groups, and can be done if you have a subscription account or simply a personal account. It's a good way to distribute data to the public as they can create their own maps using the public services through ArcGIS Online.
0 Kudos
BrianFlood
Occasional Contributor
as another option, you could try using Arc2Earth Sync with your ArcGIS Online Personal account. It does not have all the features that come with an ArcGIS Online Subscription but it will allow you to publish local files (shape, FGDB, SDE etc) as services for use in all the AGO apps/apis. Edits from shared tables, mobile clients and online apps will be automatically applied to your local featureclass. It works with ArcGIS 9.2 and above

It's still in beta so you can try it out for free
Documentation
Publishing Services

cheers
brian
0 Kudos