Select to view content in your preferred language

3D Multipatch not showing up in Web Scene

02-13-2023 10:45 AM
DevRobinson
New Contributor III

My issue is kind of a double problem I'm having with ArcGIS Online's Web Scene viewer. 

Firstly, it never lets me add a ground surface because I refuse to use the WGS coordinate system, I need state plane! So I am never able to have a 3D ground surface to view my 3D multipatches with. THIS IS A DUMB THING TO LIMIT, ESRI! 

So I figured I would cheat and make a multipatch surface of my state's ground surface using a DEM, which worked fine. Where I'm pulling my hair out is trying to get it to show up in my web scene!

I upload the .slpk file I exported from ArcGIS Pro and loaded it into my content on ArcOnline, and then added it to my established web scene. And nothing happens! It says it's there, says it's loaded, but no multipatch surface anywhere! All of my other multipatch features show up just fine and in the coordinate system I want. 

I checked EVERYTHING, and I mean everything. Transparency, color, it's just not showing up. And no, it's not because it's too big. I made sure it wasn't a crazy resolution. And it's not giving a load error or anything. And besides, an even bigger set of multipatch surfaces I have is able to load in just fine, so I am at a loss as to why this one is just being gas lit by ArcOnline.

And the file is there, I can download it from ArcOnline and load it back in ArcPro just fine, but it will not show up in my scene! 

Somebody please help me explain why, especially Esri themselves. I am ripping my hair out over this. 

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

For your first question about using your own elevation layer - We don't allow mixed cached tiling schemes. You are trying to load in an elevation layer in a different tiling scheme which is in a projected coordinate system while the global web scene is in a geographic. Web clients currently cannot reproject tiles bc it would be an extremely heavy task and that is something a desktop client like Pro can do. If you change to a local scene and have a stateplane basemap for example you can add in the elevation layer that has the same tiling scheme.

Can you share the scene layer or SLPK and I can see what might be happening with displaying it in the web scene?

DevRobinson
New Contributor III

How would I change the web scene to a local scene? Even when I export a local scene from ArcPro it doesn't carry over the ground, shouldn't it make a local web scene by default in that case? You're the first helpful answer to this problem.

And here is the scene layer that won't show up. 

https://kygs.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=77bd682204334e2d9b2b8d1122b66793

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

thanks taking a look at this now but I have one other question why not publish this DEM as an elevation layer vs. a multipatch and a 3D object and use that in KY state plane?  This would be more performant vs trying to use a 3D Object scene layer across the state and you could drape layers over it for reference layers if you needed or offset layers against the ground. 

https://doc.arcgis.com/en/arcgis-online/manage-data/publish-elevation-layers.htm

DevRobinson
New Contributor III

I was not aware of this method, but I will try it going forward. Does it allow for a vertically exaggerated ground surface, though? I don't know of a way to change the vertical exaggeration of any layers in ArcOnline like in Pro. That's probably the main reason I used a multipatch for the ground in this case. 

Thanks. 

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

Yup, for the exaggeration use the Raster Calc tool first then bring the layer down to the ground and then you will cook this elevation layer locally. This being state wide it is going to be very large and you may want to chunk this up.

Small example of mt. st helens before eruption with a 4x exaggeration

RussellRoberts1_0-1676658968454.png

MatthewRBrennan
New Contributor

I am also having this problem. Either the 3D model successfully exports, but I get a "3D model cannot be added - scene service is missing root node" error, or alternatively, the 3D model simply doesn't show up, despite being "successfully" added to the web scene as a layer.

0 Kudos
RussRoberts
Esri Notable Contributor

If it is missing root node the scene layer could still be getting generated. If you are publishing from Pro check the jobs pane to check for it status or if you are publishing through Online you can track the job on the settings tab of the scene layer.

If the scene layer is not showing up can you share this case?

0 Kudos