360 Photo Attachments in ArcGIS.com

05-01-2018 09:14 AM
DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III

Hello,

We have a Ricoh Theta V camera that takes geo-tagged 360 photos.  When I use the GeoTagged Photos to Points tool in ArcDesktop, and upload them as points with feature attachments to ArcGIS.com, the photo attachment does not let you view the photo in a 360 "streetview" type viewer.  It just displays a flat warped photo.

Is there any way to overcome this obstacle, or will this feature be added to the ArcGIS.com platform soon?  These 360 cameras are cheap and becoming pretty popular.  It would be nice to have a built-in viewer in ArcGIS.com.

Thanks

Tags (1)
20 Replies
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Dan,

I like the idea of that tool but I don't want to use it. I have various different reasons why. One, I don't want to have a gdb with attachments loaded onto AGOL (credit usage). Two, having attachments doesn't always come in handy with trying to do anything with the photo (especially outside of GIS). Three, sometimes my survey crews have GPS issues and the coordinates do not always come in, so there are some different processes I have to do to make them be located properly. I guess another reason is that I use the power of Excel to make some changes to my data as well. But, the tool is a great tool when it does what you need it to do.

0 Kudos
CharlotteRONNE
New Contributor

Hello Dan,

Thanks for these information.

Can you detail point number 4 precisely please ?

I do not understand what to do, what data to recover and how to link them to the panorama.

Charlotte

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Charlotte,

Are you referring to this:

4. I modify the spreadsheet to add some project data and the linking variable for the Pannellum viewer (it's super quick with just an easy formula from Excel).

That's a rather simple step. I just a few blank fields that will be used in my AGOL popup. For me these fields are:

Photo name

Project number

Date

Description

User

Discipline

Visit Type 

Street route

but most importantly, I have a field that has my photo hyperlink.

But, I'm not sure if that is what you're asking. Let me know if I can clarify more.

Thanks,

Adrian

0 Kudos
CharlotteRONNE
New Contributor

Dan,

Thank you for your reply.
Actually it is not at this stage that I have difficulty but in Pannallum to create my panorama.

I want to use this interface https://pannellum.org/documentation/overview/tutorial/  and here they asks :

"If it is not a full, spherical panorama, it should include Google Photo Sphere XMP metadata.".

It's this step (XMP metadata) that I do not know how to do.

(I thought that was what you explained)

Do you know how to do that ?

Thanks,

Charlotte

0 Kudos
AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

I see. Is your picture a true 360 degree picture? What kind of camera took this picture? Have you tried adding the metadata to match what that link says? To do this, you can likely go into the camera properties and edit the Details tab:

If those details are not robust enough, then you will have to use a software that digs deeper into the metadata, like ExifTool mentioned earlier. The camera I use puts these properties in natively so I don't have to go into that particular metadata and edit that.

0 Kudos
DanAllen
Occasional Contributor III
0 Kudos
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor

Thanks for creating the Idea Dan, and great discussion.

As it was just submitted yesterday, there is no defined plan for this, but it's definitely something we will discuss for the future.

-Kelly

AdrianWelsh
MVP Honored Contributor

Kelly, what does it mean that the Idea has been reviewed?

Reviewed

0 Kudos
Amanda__Huber
MVP Regular Contributor

Hi Kelly Gerrow‌, 

Just wanted to see if there has been any further discussion about 360deg photo support in ArcGIS Online?

DavidMartin1
New Contributor

Hi Kelly,

Any movement on this item?  We could definitely use both a viewing and capturing ability for 360 images.