Time-enabled WMS (OGC) on ArcGIS Online

07-29-2014 02:15 AM
MatthiasMeiler
Esri Contributor

It would be nice if you had the ability to support time-enabled WMS (OGC-standard) in ArcGIS Online.

If a time-enabled WMS is hosted on ArcGIS for Server and you add it to ArcGIS Online, time functionality is supported and the time slider appears. But if you add a time-enabled WMS which is not created with ArcGIS, time wont be supported.
It is possible to add this service in ArcMap and use the time functionality but in ArcGIS Online it doesnt work.

15 Comments
NickMorgan
Essential for Meterology
DavidCarpenter

All Environment Canada's weather data is available via WMS (Geomet), a lot of that information is time-enabled.  Disappointing to not be able to fully leverage that data in AGOL.

NickMorgan

Thanks David
I agree I'm sure it wouldn't take much to do this seeing its available in ArcGIS desktop. I have seen some reference to a Javascript application that does it.

JoshuaBixby

This would be a positive step in walking the talk of supporting open standards with the ArcGIS platform.

BobWeinzapfel

Can we please get some traction on this one?  I want to use ArcGIS Online, but I can't until time-enabled layers from OGC WMS services are usable.  For any type of science field (weather, oceans, etc) where animation is needed, this is important to loop through time-steps of forecast or observed layers.

BillHoney

Same request here 

SimonJackson

I see the status is 'reviewed' 

What was the outcome of this review?

Our bureau is also pumping out some time enabled weather services (WMS).  Was hoping on pulling them into the Map/Scene Viewer.

by Anonymous User

Any news on this? Looks like the only way would be to use webappbuilder to create a custom widget.

EleanorDhuyvetter

Status on this?? 

VanjaPerkovic

Are there any updates on this issue? Looking back at this thread that was started in 2014, i can't believe that this is still an issue. This is a pretty big miss for ArcGIS Pro/ArcGIS Server. 

If anyone can provide some insights on this, that would be greatly appreciated. It is sad that we cannot leverage public weather data due to this.

Regards, 

Vanya