Select to view content in your preferred language

Please add Color Palette back on arcgis Map Viewer (like arcgis.com classic)

04-13-2023 08:59 AM
KFung_TLC
Occasional Contributor

I noticed when I edit the color of a feature on Map Viewer (not the "classic") only the Color Ramp (see attached) is available. I do not see to option of "traditional" Color palette (the one that usually occurred on ArcMap desktop, ArcGIS Pro & "map viewer classic").

It seems that other than Color Ramp, Color Picker is the default--& only option for Map Viewer available. While it is (theoretically) more powerful, in practice it's not that user-friendly--who is going to remember the combination of RGB or HSV of every color they use? Moving the cursor on Color Picker in order to "pick" a good color is too time consuming & impractical.

With the "old fashioned" Color Palette, one can just pick & choose some "standard" color for their mapping purposes. Color ramp on unique value, on the other hand, has too few options.

If not, I just hope ESRI can add the "classic" Color Palette to Map Viewer as an option--who knows when "classic" will retire like the way ArcMap does? (Yes ArcMap is FAR SUPERIOR than ArcGIS Pro--NO APOLOGY)

Ken

12 Comments
RussRoberts

Thanks for your feedback. At this time we do not have plans to add in the MVC color picker. You can save colors you use in Map Viewer and we also present you with recently used colors as well.  We also have plans on support color ramps coming from Web Styles.

RussRoberts_0-1681403905616.png

KFung_TLC

I understand. I just think it doesn't hurt to add the default color palette like ArcGIS Pro/ArcMap/online classic. Allow the users some more option rather than "force" them to maneuver the color picker. Please consider users that need to get things done quickly instead of mandate them.

Thanks

KFung_TLC

BTW I noticed the "Color Ramp" on Map Viewer do not have "Green to Red" option. Is that an issue to add that?

RussRoberts

Can you post a picture of the ramp you are seeing that is not available? We pull ramps in from the JSAPI and can make updates to add new ones.

KFung_TLC

There are roughly about 144 combination of color ramps but none of them are "Red to Green". Since there are too many I just put a screenshot to include the one with "Red to Yellow to Green to Blue". 

Is there any way the user can customize the color ramp on MV--like what in ArcPro/ArcMap)?Screenshot 2023-04-13_MV_ColorRamp.jpg

RussRoberts

Customizing color ramps is on our road map but I don't think it will make it in for the releases this year but sometimes priorities can change so I don't want to say its completely off the table.  First would be supporting a color ramp you created in Pro and shared in a web style and other members of your org could use it along with you.

LearnThenShare

Hi @RussRoberts ,

J.D. (Jack Dangermond) usually starts his presentations with something like "...the community spoke and we (Esri) listened..."  You (Esri) may be listening, but you are not hearing or understanding very simple feedback.  Who is your test audience if it is not the User Community?  Who do you run these ideas by that remove fundamentals like a basic/default color palette that has been available since ArcView or earlier?  Progress is not removing fundamentals and planning to maybe add them back in the future (cookie cutter response).  What is stopping you from adding the default color palette to "New" Map Viewer? 

Thank you

RussRoberts

@LearnThenShare we do listen to the community and look at ideas and enhancements that come in daily which is why I am active in this community to listen to this feedback, interact in posts and bring back to the team. As we see requests come through we can and do make updates and changes.  This is the first one that has come through asking for the classic color picker and we expose the current color selection for map backgrounds, symbol styling, label styling, effects and its also leveraged in scene viewer for styling as well. From the usage of this in these different areas we haven't heard feedback for a classic color picker. Along with this being used in multiple spots and used in user testing, showcases, blogs describing workflows etc. this has not been a request from the users. This is not saying we wont add it in like I mentioned above and is something we will review. 

KFung_TLC

Who knows? Regular users are too busy to their regular works & that issue may get under their radar. Let's be honest, usually those who regularly engage in the "community" are not necessary those rank & file users with busy schedule. I absolutely certain I am not the "first one" who want to raise that issue.

Upgrading the platform doesn't mean we need to remove some good feature that has been welcomed & accepted by the rank & file users. 

JenniferPsillas

I would just like to add to the chorus.  Having different color palettes between Pro and AGOL is a pain.  The standard color palette in Pro should be available everywhere.  All of my work is based on that color palette.  But In order to make sure everything is consistent between my online maps and other work I produce I have to go to Pro, copy the hex code from the standard color palette, then go to AGOL and paste it in.  What should take seconds now takes much longer and it shouldn't be like that.