Select to view content in your preferred language

Label fields in pop-up charts - NOT on hover

03-30-2022 08:24 AM
wayfaringrob
Frequent Contributor II

I'm looking for a way to add field/category labels to my data. You get them on hover, but I really want something to be shown at all times. These charts are pretty useless at a glance without them - to require the user to mouse over each category just to see what's what is ridiculous and impractical.

rburkebsrc_0-1648651911226.png

rburke_0-1676322813054.png

rburke_1-1676322822982.png

12 Comments
BernSzukalski

The ArcGIS Online product management and dev teams do monitor Ideas here on the Community. Keep voting an idea up to get extra attention.

I'm not sure where this idea might be in the grand scheme of things, but I'll see if I can find out more and will respond here if I do.

Personally (and this is my opinion only), I do prefer the hover labels. I find them easy, intuitive, and they work across all chart types well. Many labels would be too big to fit properly.

BernSzukalski_0-1723431061961.pngBernSzukalski_1-1723431103730.png

Until the team considers this further, for those unaware of hover your method of mentioning that specifically is a good one.

wayfaringrob

@BernSzukalski  right, but from a usability and accessibility perspective, it makes sense to at least have the option. Data is way, way less legible when you have to stop, hunt, and poke around it. At that point, you might as well just post the raw data so that users can download it and display it themselves. Data visualization should be about making insights easier, not harder. The extra effort we do "behind the scenes" to ensure labeling options, fit, even legends -- is worth it for map viewers.

Excel has been making many labels fit properly for years -- I hate having to settle for less when using ArcGIS.