Select to view content in your preferred language

Customize color of included point icons

07-27-2022 07:04 AM
MT_JenAmes
New Contributor III

It would be nice if we could change the color of a point icon in the new web map viewer. Some of the icons come in different colors, but so many of them only come in gray, or one color, and it'd be nice to be able to represent something in different colors to make reading the map easier. 

MTJames_0-1658928303514.png

For example, it'd be great if I could change the Knox Box icon (a key) to be a red background instead of gray, to match the logo for Knox Boxes, and maybe the sprinkler icon to teal to match the maps I'm digitizing. Ultimately, it'd be nice to make it so all these gray points can be made different colors to be more easily distinguishable from each other.

4 Comments
RussRoberts

You can do that in Map Viewer.  If you publish those as a web style to your organization (detailed steps in the blogs below) you can adjust those colors. For this you would want to use Shape Marker symbols so the colors are swapped when replaced. if its a Picture Marker symbol the colors will be masked and not swapped.

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/symbol-styler-using-complex-symbols-...

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/mapping/use-published-2d-symbols-in-arcgis-o...

Vectors.gif

MT_JenAmes

That's great for small projects, but that's a ton of work when I need over a dozen different symbols, most of which already exist in map viewer, they're just mostly gray, or not the same color as the paper map versions that the end users are used to. It'd be nice to be able to use the symbols that already exist and customize them. Or to be able to create a new, custom symbol from an image link, like we can in map viewer classic.

RussRoberts

Those symbols are classic symbols that we brought into Map Viewer from Map Viewer Classic to help users migrate. These symbols dont support any color change just like in Map Viewer Classic.

RussellRoberts1_1-1659018773180.png

If you want this Style with Vector capability you can download the vector sample here:

https://esri-styles.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=a3109109c7114857809d70a230896934

I also published a version under esri_webstyles account and if you set up a group to contain your web styles you can go Add Item > and search for owner:"esri_webstyles" or search for Government.

RussellRoberts1_2-1659020363729.png

And then picking one of your examples staircase

RussellRoberts1_3-1659020454217.png

The upside of using this version instead of the image URL

1) Usually the hosting servers are not configured correctly and you will get a CORS error

2) If the browser cache is cleared you have to re-link the images

3) If the image url changes this can break the map 

4) its still just a picture marker symbol so the color controls you want wont be supported.

Using the web style on the other hand

- No worrying about CORS

- Symbol gallery is hosted in Online and available to all memebers across your organization. No need for each user to upload/link the same images

- Symbols are written into the web map so if the Web Style is deleted the map styling will not be impacted. 

- Vector support so you can change the colors like the above image sample. 

MT_JenAmes

Perfect. I was able to add the style to my online org and can use them that way. Thank you for your help!