Select to view content in your preferred language

Customization of UTM zone in Map Tools -> Location

03-16-2023 03:42 AM
ThomasBalstrøm
New Contributor III

I propose a functionality in the New Map Viewer -> Map Tools -> Location so the user is able to change the expected UTM zone for a map extent to a neighboring zone. 

Example: Denmark is located across UTM zones 32N and 33N, but as approx. 80% of the country is located in zone 32N, we use that zone to reference all spatial data.

Meanwhile, when you want to specify a bounding box for a WFS connection by looking up the extent's coordinates using Map Tools -> Location, the tool displays zone 33N coordinates correctly for an extent. which is correct from a geodetic point of view. However, I need to read out coordinates referencing zone 32N coordinates. So, having the possibility of customizing the UTM zone to display coordinates for a neighboring zone instead, is highly requested.

Kind regards, Thomas Balstroem, Univ. of Copenhagen, Denmark

2 Comments
temprobertcottreau131313

I'm assuming you mean you want to click in the map and get the coordinates for a particular point.

If so, then click on Location on the right side (light) tool bar.

temprobertcottreau131313_0-1678976481758.png

This will bring up a popup

temprobertcottreau131313_1-1678976517839.png

In this case my coordinate system is set to 13U.

To change this, click the down arrow and then Format Settings (the gears) in the bottom right corner.

This shows the coordinate system as 13U

temprobertcottreau131313_2-1678976632226.png

To change this, simply change the 13 to a 12 to get coordinates in 12U and then when you select Capture Mode it will provide coordinates in the UTM zone you typed in manually.

LauraMajaStenbækFløytrup

@temprobertcottreau131313 

Both @ThomasBalstrøm and I get the wrong X value when doing this. Are you experiencing the same or is it correct when you do it? Perhaps we're missing a step or something.

See the image below; the value is supposed to match the values shown next to the Basemap format: 

Image_2023-03-20_12-51-49.png