ArcGIS Online Sketch Tool - Export or Download Sketch Layers

10-04-2021 06:58 AM
SarahWillett
New Contributor III

It would be great if we had the ability to export or download layers that were created from using the Sketch Tool. The tool is good for visualization but my team needs the ability to share these sketches with each other for use in ArcGIS Pro, Desktop, and Earth.

Workflow would be something like Draw shape(s) using the Sketch Tool >> Export or download sketch layer as shapefile/KML/CSV/etc.

29 Comments
RussRoberts

Sketch will have a few improvements in the upcoming release. Planning on making some updates to make repetitive sketching faster.  We will also plan on having sketch save layer to create a layer item. I will have to check if the analysis tools releasing this fall will have the same MVC extract data that allowed you to take a map notes layer and export a gdb, csv or KML

Callum_ReidHVHL

Hi @RussRoberts ,

Just to confirm, as of 30/11/2022 there is no export sketch option available in AGOL? Working with students who are learning the way of GIS, I cannot have them enter ArcGIS Pro yet, that's for next year. I do however need them to save sketches as features in their contents. If even for the sake of re-using their sketches and having them pop up in their legend, to teach them good practices.

That said, I am loving the new Map Viewer with all its features! Sketching, adding titles, text, images etc. makes it a brilliant tool for beginners. 

Many thanks,

C. Reid 

UntitledMap

Any updates on the Sketch layer being saved/exported as its own item in AGOL?

My org has heavy users of Map Notes and it has been really inconvenient to use the new Map Viewer while Sketch Notes don't have the fully functionality that Map Notes did. 

RussRoberts

It wont be coming in the upcoming release. What is the workflow you are using map notes/sketch layers for?

AdamBerenzweig

Posting here because this thread seems like the closest thing to my question.

I have a sketch layer in a Web Map that I want to publish. I don't want to make the entire web map public because it is editable, so my plan was to make public Views of the feature layers. But I just realized that the sketch layers are not feature layers, and I don't see a way to make a view from them.

I thought I could convert the sketch layers to feature layers, and then make a view, but from what I've read in this thread, that's not supported in arcgis online, and there's also no way to export the sketch layer data.

Any ideas for another approach to accomplish what I want?

thanks!

AdamBerenzweig

Ah, I found an article about the workaround:
https://support.esri.com/en-us/knowledge-base/faq-is-it-possible-to-export-a-sketch-layer-in-arcgis-...

It's painful but it's better than nothing.
+1 to the feature request for a better way to export or convert sketch layers!

RussRoberts

Do you have access to Pro? If you import the web map into Pro you can run Features to Graphics and that will create a feature class that you can publish as a hosted feature layer. 

RussRoberts_0-1689338171656.png

jcokin1

After looking over the comment string, I went back to the original idea request in 2021 (Sarah .W) and we are still not any closer to a "simple" solution that allows users on AGOL using the sketch tool in their webapps (public or private) to simply export the sketch feature out in whatever vector format (.shp, etc) for easier collaboration and sharing of shape geometry that our users can define. 

Was this on the roadmap for the AGOL team from the UC this year? I did not get a chance to watch the record videos from the UC yet. 

Sammy
by

Checking in to see if this functionality is available

RussRoberts

Its currently not present but if you can describe your workflow for exporting sketched features that would be great!