ArcGIS Online - Order Popups same as Legend

11-02-2012 03:01 PM
BrianSullivan
New Contributor III

When you have overlapping map layers that have popups, there is a bar at the top that allows you to toggle to the next layer.  0EME0000000TTcH

But there is no way to control the order of which popup is displayed first.  Please give control to this, or make popup come up in the same order as the legend.

89 Comments
AnitaB
by

We have an application that will eventually go public but we've been using for over a year in-house.    The original web map was recently converted to the new map viewer.   In the new map viewer the top layer in the legend is NOT the top layer in the popup.  Yet, how nice when I open that same exact web map in classic -- the popup order is how it is expected - on TOP

That top layer is the layer for which this application was specifically created and should always be the top popup result.  Any other layer popup in the map is reporting second tier information. 

This application is designed to be a tool with no assumption of end-user expertise.  Clicking through popups to find the right one?  Alas, not intuitive, just frustrating.

I was hoping moving my web map to the new map viewer environment would provide this desired feature. 

Any chance it's planned?

bdewitt_olsson

This is a no-brainer. Even having the pop up order be determined by layer drawing order would go a long way in solving a lot of peoples' issues.

Congrats @BrianSullivan and over 12,000 others on nearly a decade of being ignored by ESRI!🎉

Dan_Eos

Thanks to all who have shared their examples and experiences with this pop-up display order limitation in ArcGIS Online. I'm not one to comment usually but it's been 10 years now and I've read ALL the comments from other users and feel like they're being ignored. Is @BrianSullivan from 10 years ago still using the product I wonder? So, squeaky wheel gets the grease?

We also have a web map and scene that is educational in nature and needs the display order in pop-ups to be; a) configurable on it's own so we can set the display order or b) inherits the same order as the layers. Our web experiences (2D and 3D) require the layer order in the pop-ups be CONSISTENTLY displayed every time a point on the map is selected. Without this functionality it becomes confusing to the end user, frustrating for us as content providers and it really cheapens the look and feel of the user experience and our collective hard work.  Of all the amazing things we can do these days, a basic cartographic element isn't accommodated? PLEASE, LET'S GO!

Thomas1

Totally agree with @Dan_Eos , consistency is very important. 

Wake up ESRI!

jamesw
by

I agree with the other six pages of comments, this functionality significantly improve the usability of web maps by non-GIS professionals. It's hard to believe there has been just barely under ten years of inaction on the topic from Esri.

LeviRoberts

Good lord, 10 years and no solution. Yet, I can go to the rest page and call the data myself and order the fields there. If you have the functionality already there, I don't see why you can't have an "Order By Field" parameter in the pop up box options???

But at least we can have snow in our 3d scenes. That's what we really need.

ChrisWoodward

Still interested - could use on Enterprise and AGOL today!

ChrisWoodward

I'm very much interested in this feature enhancement as well. Would be a great improvement in flexibility for sharing information dynamically. Could we get this on the road map?

LeahSattler

I have created a Dashboard for our Public Safety Teams for Emergency Operations, such as the current Winter Storm Severe Weather Event we are experiencing. Our Field Ops crews perform various tasks at specific locations, such as Plow Snow, Sand Road, Close and Reopen Road. It would be a very helpful for those teams to review the activities performed based on the entry date in chronological order. With a more severe event, there can be 20-30 activities at the same point. Without the functionality to order the pop-ups, it is very difficult to follow the order of work performed at each location and kinda makes the whole thing much less useful. 

ESRI, please consider adding this functionality. There is clearly a big need across multiple different types of organizations for many important functions!

Super Thanks.

JamesSerendip1

Ongoing Issue since 2012 and still nothing.  Strange.  I would think this could be addressed, especially since we fairly recently had a major new release.  C'mon ESRI - I know you can do better!  How many user requests does it take before there is a response?  Please consider coding an option for this issue.  You have at least 452 users looking for one!  And if that's how many people took time out of their day to come here and comment on this issue, you probably actually have THOUSANDS of users wanting this functionality.  I am SURE there is a way to code this!