Find Events related to a Specific Item

09-24-2018 01:50 PM
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor
2 7 3,416

The September 2018 release of ArcGIS  contained the ability to export an activity log,  which contains history of actions made to content, members, organizations, and groups in your ArcGIS  organization. This blog outlines some basics of understanding the history log: https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-/administration/exploring-the-organization-activity... 

This series of blogs will show quick ways of filtering the activity blog to find specific information. I've removed some information from the attached logs, so please note, IP address, org id and reqid are not included. This is also a fictional organization, with minimal events to make it easier to find specific events.  

What happened to my item? 

Scenario:

An item, b0a01e2e668f40168aa6d9a753efacb, that was supposed to be hidden until a press release on Wednesday, February 28, 2018. was made public early. Use the history log to determine who updated the items sharing privileges and when this occurred.

Detective Steps:

1. Download the Activity log setting the start date so that it will capture the time span in questions (Feb 26, 2018)

2. Open the CSV as an excel document

3. Input the itemID in the search bar in excel

Filter for Item

4. Filter the action column to view all share actions

5. Look at the data column and determine which event updated the sharing to everyone:true.

Notice it appears that Donna Content username shared the item publicly right after Brandon Analyst shared with a specific group.

7 Comments
About the Author
I love interactive maps and apps on the internet! The maps and apps that customers create and share on the web, make my job awesome. I'm a Product Manager with the ArcGIS Online team in Redlands, California. I am a proud graduate from Carleton University and the COGS in Canada, with research focus' in Health Geography. Originally from Bedford, NS, Canada but have spent a lot of time in Haliburton and Ottawa, Ontario. I have a passion for the outdoors and dogs.