ArcGIS Online User and Item History Log Early Adopters Community!

03-12-2018 05:14 PM
KellyGerrow
Esri Frequent Contributor
5 6 2,754

Calling all ArcGIS Online Administrators!

Have you been looking for a way to get more insight into what is happening in your organization and answer questions like,

Who created an item?

When was this item shared publicly?

What modifications has a specific user made to the organization and content?

If you have the desire to delve into the history logs of your ArcGIS Online Organization through the REST API and provide the ArcGIS Online team with feedback about questions you would like to answer, and the API itself, join the ArcGIS Online Early Adopters Community.

In the community you will find a separate forum from the upcoming release with some REST API documentation, sample requests and forums to discuss feedback. You can use your current ArcGIS Online organization or request access to a sample organization to query information about users, items and groups. You should have some knowledge of the REST API and ArcGIS Online user and item administration. Ability to program or dabble in python could be helpful.

To participate, sign in or join the ArcGIS Online Early Adopters Community by clicking on this link.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

6 Comments
PaulHoeffler2
New Contributor II

This sounds like the Compliance Validation Tool that was announced nearly a year ago (http://downloads.esri.com/resources/enterprisegis/2017UC_ArcGIS_Online_Security.pdf), but based on what we were told that didn't actually exist. We were instead provided with some related REST calls.

The link provided in this article is for the ArcGIS Online EAC in general; is the ArcGIS Online User and Item History Log currently available in the EAC org account? I wasn't able to locate it within the org.

Thanks for clarification and additional guidance.

KellyGerrow

Hi Paul,

This is access to the REST API documentation to query the History API. The documentation and forums for discussion and feedback are available through the Early Adopters Community but the functionality can be accessed through your current organization and the Early Adopters Organization. You'll notice some specific documents and forums in the Early adopters community that refer to the Item History Log.

Let me know if you have more questions,

-Kelly

deleted-user-RAnWn8DDSd1P
New Contributor III

Is this in production now?  I get "This opportunity is not available" when I go to the early access link.  Can you point me in the direction of the History API documentation?

MichaelYoung
Esri Contributor

Hi Paul,

We released the public facing version of the compliance validation tool for ArcGIS  at the UC this year.  You can access the tool @ https://arcg.is/ago-advisor .  If you have any questions about the tool, feel free to reach out to o...

With the ArcGIS  update this week, you can now also export application log information from within the user interface as described by Kelly here: Exploring the Organization Activity Log CSV  

KellyGerrow

Thanks Michael,

More information has been added here in the above blog and the history api blog can be found here:

Portal History—ArcGIS REST API: Users, groups, and content | ArcGIS for Developers 

-Kelly

MatthewJ
New Contributor II

Hello Kelly/All, 

@KellyGerrow 

I have implemented an ArcGIS Experience that contains a dashboard and a web mapping application. We have permissions set to our organization so it does require a login. 

The number of logins from the History API is not matching what I would expect. The login numbers are very low. 

The data that I am after is this.. (may be two separate problems/questions but they are related)

1. who is using the App? This should be the login but I am wondering if the (keep me logged in) will have an affect on whether AGOL will register the login. 

2. How long are they using the website? The majority of users are "Viewers" so the events would be limited. They could watch for an entire shift and I won't know. Is this a website analytics question? 

Thank you in advance. 

Matthew

About the Author
I love interactive maps and apps on the internet! The maps and apps that customers create and share on the web, make my job awesome. I'm a Product Manager with the ArcGIS Online team in Redlands, California. I am a proud graduate from Carleton University and the COGS in Canada, with research focus' in Health Geography. Originally from Bedford, NS, Canada but have spent a lot of time in Haliburton and Ottawa, Ontario. I have a passion for the outdoors and dogs.