ArcGIS Online Update -- Coming September 23, 2014

09-09-2014 02:28 PM
PaulRoss
Esri Contributor
16 10 6,248

The next scheduled ArcGIS Online update is scheduled for the week of September 22, 2014.

Here is what's currently planned:

Web App Builder for ArcGIS (Beta)

With the Web App Builder you can put together and share powerful GIS apps that run on desktops, tablets, and smartphones with no coding required. Anyone with an ArcGIS Online subscription (trial or paid) has access to this beta version of the Web App Builder.

Feature Layers

In the September update we plan to add an improved user experience for updating data in your ArcGIS Online-hosted feature layers. If you need to update data associated with your hosted feature layer, you will be able to update the layer through My Content and maintain the item URL and details.

Enhancements to ArcGIS Pro license management (Beta)

Administrators of organizations that are part of the ArcGIS Pro beta program are able to manage licenses through ArcGIS Online. For the September update, we are making some improvements based on your feedback. The workflow for assigning, updating, and revoking licenses has been improved and more information will display on the page, including the maximum number of licenses, and available licenses that have been assigned to users. You will also be able to see when a user’s ArcGIS Pro license is off-line. Users will be able to run up to three simultaneous sessions. These sessions, and the option to suspend a session, will be included in an overview table for the person administering the licenses.

Note: if you would like to participate in the ArcGIS Pro beta program, your organization must have an ArcGIS for Desktop license that is current on maintenance. If you meet this requirement and you would like to join the beta program, you can sign-up at the ArcGIS for Professionals website. For additional information, contact Esri Customer Service via email at service@esri.com or call 888-377-4575.

Custom Roles

A role defines the privileges that a member has within your organization. Esri defines a set of privileges for the User, Publisher, and Administrator roles but in addition, your organization can define privileges at a more detailed level by creating and assigning custom roles. In September Custom roles will include an administrative privilege to manage licenses, the first of which will be available for ArcGIS Pro (beta). Custom roles will also include a new privilege for elevation analysis (this currently applies to ArcGIS for Desktop users).

Analysis

The special analytics in ArcGIS Online will also have a couple updates:

• The tools for Aggregate Points, Summarize Nearby, and Summarize Within will allow you to find the minority and majority of grouped values, as well as the ability to calculate their percentages.
  • Plan Routes will include numbered labels along the stop sequence displayed on the map.

Open Data

Earlier this year we added Open Data features to ARcGIS Online which enables your organization to better Connect citizens and businesses to your authoritative data. The September enhancements will include a new site where you will be able to find open data aggregated from all organizations, new charts and graphs, support for CSV files, and an improved user experience for administrators.

App Templates

• The Maps and Apps Gallery group gallery template will be available in the Early Adopter Templates group.
  • GeoForm will be fully supported and available in the Esri-featured configurable app gallery and will no longer be part of the Early Adopter Templates group. GeoForm allows users to edit feature data in a form, instead of a pop-up window.
  • We continue to modernize existing templates with updated styles and more adaptable designs for mobile devices. For this release, Filter and Find, Edit, and Filter will have redesigned configuration panes.

ArcGIS Content

In September we will be rolling out many enhancements to the online content including basemaps, imagery and demographics. To find out what content is already available to you check out this recent blog post that details much of what’s already included: http://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2014/09/04/content-included-with-your-online-subscription/

Workflow Improvements

We are refining the workflows for resetting your password. On My Content, the options for creating new items will be streamlined.

Tags (2)
10 Comments
JeremyLinley
New Contributor III

The update has caused issues with editing a layer in a feature service. Has anyone else experienced issues after this update?

PaulRoss
Esri Contributor

Hi, we have not seen any issues with the update, please work with support to see if we can work with you on this.

-Paul-

JeremyLinley
New Contributor III

I  have tried multiple times to get in touch with support but all analysts are busy.

ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi - can you send me the details for the issue you're seeing?

cwhitmore@esri.com

Thanks,

Chris

KevinLaughlin
New Contributor III

Yeah, any new service I create is un-editable.

KevinLaughlin
New Contributor III

Any resolution?

NickLawalin
New Contributor II

I've noticed that this seems to only be affecting FeatureServices that have Z Values.  Until the latest update I was able to edit these same services that are now un-editable.  But, other than creating a new feature class without Z Values I don't have a solution.

ChrisWhitmore
Esri Regular Contributor

This issue has been resolved with a website update deployed earlier this evening. Editable services with Z and M values show as editable in the ArcGIS.com map viewer again. Sorry for any trouble.

Thanks,

Chris

JerryGarcia1
Occasional Contributor II

Same problem.

JeremyLinley
New Contributor III

There was an update in February that has caused this issue again. ESRI marked this as a BUG, however it has still gone unresolved for 2 months now. This issue is specific to services published using ArcGIS Server 10.2.2 or later. We have been unable to edit any services on our ArcGIS Server for 2 months now.

About the Author
Sr. Product Manager, ArcGIS Online