Can you use the Execute Notebook operation in AGOL?

04-28-2020 01:21 AM
AlexBriggs
New Contributor

Reading up on the enterprise notebook server docs Execute Notebook—ArcGIS Notebook Server Administration | ArcGIS for Developers  it looks like it would be possible to automate/schedule the execution of a notebook - something that would be REALLY userful!

I suspect not, but is this possible within the AGOL notebook server?

12 Replies
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi Alex,

Scheduling of Notebooks is planned for a future release, but is not yet available in the current beta. There will be a blog post put out when it is slated to become publicly available so stay tuned.

Josh

AlexBriggs
New Contributor

Great news - thanks Joshua. 

As well as scheduling, are there plans to make it possible to execute a notebook through an api call - for example when a fieldworker submits a survey using S123, a webhook might fire a power automate script which in turn could call the executeNotebook command using REST?

Thanks,

Alex

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes! There will be an executeNotebook endpoint for you to call and pass parameters to. It should work nicely with that workflow.

Josh

AshtonW
New Contributor II

Josh, 

Any update on this? It has been almost a year and the API call already exists for Enterprise. Not used to Enterprise getting features before AGOL. Usually it's the other way around.

Ashton

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Joshua - please do you have any timeline for when this functionality is likely to be released?

JohnMDye
Occasional Contributor III

@Anonymous User, @Anonymous User @AndrewChapkowski or @RohitSingh2  I also have this question. The documentation for the executeNotebook operation is listed under 'Enterprise Administration', which is a bit confusing when it comes to AGOL, given that AGOL != ArcGIS Enterprise.

So the original question stands - Is it possible to execute an ArcGIS Notebook, hosted on ArcGIS Online, using the executeNotebook operation in the REST API? That is, not using scheduling, but using the executeNotebook operation to run the notebook on demand, by calling it via the REST API.

If so, where is this documented or can someone provide an example? If it is not documented, can we get some guidance please because I would like to do this but am having trouble locating the operation endpoint on ArcGIS Online.

0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi John,

Sorry for the confusion - my original comment was made while feature discussions were ongoing. The executeNotebook API is currently not available in AGO - we are looking into ways to implement 'on-demand' notebook execution, but AGO Notebooks in their current state do not support this.

Thanks for your interest - I will pass it along to the team.

Josh

JohnMDye
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks for the quick response. Much needed feature.

0 Kudos
DebbieBull
New Contributor II

This seems like a related question, if not the same. Can I execute one notebook from another? My use case is this, I have a Standard notebook that runs and captures new features if they exist; if they do exist, I want to run analysis on them using an Advanced notebook. If not, I don't.

0 Kudos