Show Direction of Route with Arrow Symbol???

Jump to solution
05-30-2012 09:04 AM
KevinDoyle
New Contributor II
I just created a route feature class showing all of the sidewalks for a city and I need to show which direction they are going in (with arrowheads pointing direction that routes go in). I thought it would be something that could be done under the routes tab in properties box but its not.  After doing some research, the only thing I saw to do was to use Network Analyst tool to show "flow" aka direction with arrows but my Arc license level doesn't allow me to use that function.  Any suggestions?

Thanks!
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HardolphWasteneys
Occasional Contributor III
Kevin,

You can do this through the sequence of Symbology screens in the image   >  Symbol Selector > Symbol Property Editor > Line Decoration Editor. 

Get to these by this route:
1. Layer properties > Symbology Tab
2. clicking on the Symbol which opens Symbol Selector
3. Properties Button to Symbol Property Editor
4. In Type: select any of cartographic, hash or marker Line Symbol and click the Line Properties Tab
5. In Line Decorations select the right pointing arrow and then the Properties button below it.
6. In Line Decoration Editor screen In "Number of Positions" increase this to whatever looks good and leave the Flip: blank and Rotate properties:  as follow line angle
7. OK and Apply your way out of the screens and check how it looks; you can modify the arrows or change the intervals through the same process.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]14759[/ATTACH]

As well you can "Hatch" the routes to show distances along them and this will run in the same direction as the arrows:  Go to Layer Properties >  Hatches Tab; check Hatch features in the layer; in the TOC of Layer properties ... Hatch Class > Hatch Interval to a number greater than zero; then Hatch Def( x). "Place these hatches every" e.g. 1 "hatch intervals" (the "x" in the brackets after Hatch Def (x) is the number you enter for intervals, so you can have several hatch types at differnet interval) ; put in a hatch line length;  and in Labels box check "Label these hatches".      Apply, OK and your routes will also have distance markers.

Hardolph

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
HardolphWasteneys
Occasional Contributor III
Kevin,

You can do this through the sequence of Symbology screens in the image   >  Symbol Selector > Symbol Property Editor > Line Decoration Editor. 

4. In Type: select any of cartographic, hash or marker Line Symbol and click the Line Properties Tab
5. In Line Decorations select the right pointing arrow and then the Properties button below it.
6. In Line Decoration Editor screen In "Number of Positions" increase this to whatever looks good and leave the Flip: blank and Rotate properties:  as follow line angle
7. OK and Apply your way out of the screens and check how it looks; you can modify the arrows or change the intervals through the same process.

As well you can "Hatch" the routes to show distances along them and this will run in the same direction as the arrows:  Go to Layer Properties >  Hatches Tab; check Hatch features in the layer; in the TOC of Layer properties ... Hatch Class > Hatch Interval to a number greater than zero; then Hatch Def( x). "Place these hatches every" e.g. 1 "hatch intervals" (the "x" in the brackets after Hatch Def (x) is the number you enter for intervals, so you can have several hatch types at differnet interval) ; put in a hatch line length;  and in Labels box check "Label these hatches".      Apply, OK and your routes will also have distance markers.

Hardolph
0 Kudos
ShitalDhakal__GISP
Occasional Contributor

Hi Hardolph,

I have a similar but a different situation. I tried your suggestion, but the problem is mine is a sewer line and it has to go from a certain manhole(e.g. No 3372) to certain manhole (e.g. 3373). I have those data in the attribute table. With your solution, all of my sewer lines either go from left to right or from right to left. Is there a way to give them a flow direction based on altitude or from-to data ?

Any help will be appreciated!

0 Kudos
KevinDoyle
New Contributor II
Kevin,

Hardolph

Thanks Hardolph.  I appreciate the help.
0 Kudos