Service Area Polygon Shapes Look Wrong

08-18-2011 01:00 PM
michaelmessing
New Contributor
Hello,

I am trying to create a single service area for a number of facilities using distance limits. I have run a number of tests and each time the polygons and lines created seem to be incomplete. The analysis seems to ignore some streets completely while not traveling the full impedance distance on other roads which creates very lopsided polygons. Why is this happening? I am using minimal parameters and my network is set up correctly.

I recently started using the tutorial data and network dataset downloaded as part of ArcTutor for my tests in case there is something else going on with my data and network but I am seeing the same issues. I have included a screen shot to help illustrate my issues. I simplified the analysis in the screen shot example. My impedance distance is 500 meters. Why are roads that are clearly within a distance of 500 meters from my facility not included as lines and not within the generated polygon?

Thank you very much from a stressed GIS Analyst with a looming deadline
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
JaySandhu
Esri Regular Contributor
Deb,

ArcGIS comes with a Data and Maps DVD which has the street network for the entire USA. This is in a compressed SDC format and is ready for use with Network Analyst. You can use that for generating service areas.

If you cannot locate your DVDs here is a blog that talks more about it:
http://blogs.esri.com/support/blogs/mappingcenter/archive/2011/06/07/esri-data-and-maps.aspx

Jay Sandhu
0 Kudos
DebjaniDeb
New Contributor
Thx Jay, I think I have located it....let me do this again at my end and will write back if I have further questions.

Deb
0 Kudos
JoeBorgione
MVP Emeritus
Thx Jay, I think I have located it....let me do this again at my end and will write back if I have further questions.

Deb

I'd really like to hear how this turns out for you.  Good luck with it....
That should just about do it....
0 Kudos