Problems with Routing in Network Analyst

10-21-2011 08:07 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I have set up a network dataset that includes my street centerlines.  Within the dataset I have set the following properties:

HeightRestriction
Max_Height (descriptor)
WeightRestriction
Max_Weight (descriptor)
Time (Cost-Minutes-Double)
One Way (Restrictor)
Distance (Cost-Feet-Double)

After all fo the evaluators and parameters I pulled my new network dataset into ArcMap to test out the routing.  The problem I am running into is that I am trying to choose points on the opposite ends of town and when I hit "solve", it appears to take all the county roads around the town to get to the destination (going far out of the way) instead of routing through the town.  I checked, and the road hierarchy is not selected, so I am not sure why it is doing this...

When I select points that are a couple blocks or a mile or two away from each other, it has no problem with the routing.

Any suggestions?
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
MichaelRice
New Contributor III
One likely explanation is that your impedance attribute is returning a cost of zero for some (or all) of your edges. With zero-cost edges, *any* path will be a "shortest" path, and thus you may get these winding paths such as you see here.

Please check your impedance attribute values for the edges along the given path (using the Network Identify tool), and if this is indeed the problem, update your attribute evaluator to return the correct (non-zero) values and rebuild.

If this is not the issue, please let me know and we can go from there.
0 Kudos
by Anonymous User
Not applicable
I was able to get it to work, thanks!
0 Kudos