Network Analyst functions grayed out in ArcGIS 10

02-19-2011 02:36 AM
ChristianBucholdt
New Contributor
Hello,

I am running ArcInfo 10 on Windows 7.

I have created a network dataset from a shapefile of streets in ArcCatalog 10. Then added this to an ArcMap 10 document.

Network Analyst Extension is enabled. I was able to select "New Route". But I can not add any Network Location. When I select "Stops" in the Table of Contents the functions in the Network Analyst toolbar stay gray (see attachement)

I checked the License. It seems to be fine.

Any advice. Might there be something wrong in the
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi,

This sounds weird. The extension is activated, licensed.. Can you try to rebuild your network dataset and add it to a new ArcMap map document? Are you able to open Network Analyst Window?

Do you have SP1 installed?
0 Kudos
ChristianBucholdt
New Contributor
Hi,

I thought about SP1 and installed it yesterday (after my posting). But no change.

I have tried with different data several times to create a dataset. Always the same result.

In the ArcAdministrator the license for Network Analyst is enabled and valid for a year (Education license). But when I try to start a tool from the ArcToolbox -> Network Analyst toolset I get a message about a missing license and that the extension is not enabled. How to enable the extension when the license seems to be fine in the ArcAdministrator? Do I need to install the License Manager?

I would expect that the toolbar should not work and adding a new route should not be possible if there is a general license issue.

Strange is that the Network Analyst functions become visually enabled when I select the "customize" function (see attchment). But it goes away when I close it.

I do not know about a separate Network Analyst window (newbie). I know just the toolbar and the route entry in the table of contents when trying to create a new route.

regards
Christian
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi Christian,

Hm, so it seems like this is a license issue yet you would not be able to create a new route layer. You do not have to install License Manager since you've authorized your machine when executing a provision file or connecting to a license server.
I suggest you to contact ESRI Technical Support and provide the details on your license. Personally, I do not think we could trace the problem any further.

PS. You can start Network Analyst Window by clicking on the button Show/Hide Network Analyst on the Network Analyst toolbar. In Customize mode, all buttons and tools become active regardless of licensing.
0 Kudos
FrancisBoscoe
New Contributor
Has there been any resolution on this? If so, please post. I am having the identical problem.
0 Kudos
AlexeyTereshenkov
Regular Contributor III
Hi,

The general workflow is that you register the software, activate the licenses selected and then use Extensions window in ArcMap to check the Network Analyst checkbox.

I have realized after reading my previous posts that you are indeed able to create a new Route Layer, but you are unable to create Stops when the Network Analyst license is not accessable.

It would be very hard to me to troubleshoot the problem, so I encourage you to contact the Esri technical support.

PS. Just to make sure I did not miss anything, you know that in order to create a new route layer you should have a valid network dataset added to the ArcMap?
0 Kudos
JamesBurke1
New Contributor
Hi All,

Sorry I know this is an old thread but I had the same issue and managed to resolve it (Also running Arcmap 10 student version on Windows 7). Hopefully this can help someone else that runs into the same problem.

I initially enabled Network Analysis in ArcCatalog to create my Network Dataset. You also need to enable this extension in ArcMap as well.

I hope this helps someone.
JonFallows
New Contributor
Enable the Network Analyst License, this should "light up" the Network Analyst Tool Bar.

Load Facilities into your service area by R-click and choosing a point FC/Shapefile to be your facilities.

Facilities need not be snapped to a road network but a search distance to the network can be specified.

Without Facilities you cannot "Solve" for Service Areas.

If you have no options in your Network Dataset drop-down then you have no valid Network Dataset loaded.
0 Kudos
Seyed_AbdollahHosseini
New Contributor

It is not your license problem. you must firstly build "New Network Dataset". then all the optioned change from gray to active. For the process of building "New Network Dataset", please have a search on tutorial of Networl Analyst by GIS.

0 Kudos